ONE

Christmas Eve - December 24
CHRIS POV
The kids were already down for the night. It had been hard to get them both to sleep tonight, but if they didn't sleep then Santa wouldn't come.

Majesty, who was three now, had knocked out first, as usual. She was never able to stay up past 9pm. It was a blessing. Royalty, on the other hand, had been running around the top floor and screaming, trying to avoid capture. She tried like hell to shake the baby gates loose, but couldn't do it. This had been her routine since she started kindergarten this year. Royalty was six now. Robyn had wanted to start her last year, but I wanted to wait.

As I came down the stairs I could already hear Robyn at work. She was sitting in the middle of the family room, in her favorite Christmas tee and a pair of black boyshorts. She had reindeer ears on her head and was singing along to her Christmas play list.

"Baby allllll I way for Christmaaaass is yooouuuuu." She laughed, pulling off another piece of tape and finishing the wrapping of another toy.

"Started without me huh?" I laughed.

She nodded and held a glass of wine out towards me.

I could tell by the look of her that she was drunk already, but what else was new.

"How much you got left?" I asked taking the glass from her.

"WE have a few more boxes to wrap, then we have to put together their sets. Did you charge up their cars?" She asked before taking a long sip of wine.

"Yeah, I put them in the garage. You put the turkey on yet?"

"Don't play me." She huffed. "It went in at 4."

I chuckled and handed her another Barbie from her stack. "You ain't get them no white barbies?"

Robyn huffed, slurring her words together. "What you get turned on by white girls? You wanna trade me in for a white bitch?"

"Rob-"

She huffed again. "You get on my damn nerves Chris."

She was always testy around the holidays.

I sighed and headed into the kitchen to make sure the stove was off. Robyn had left it on last month and nearly burned the kitchen to the ground.

When I came back Robyn quickly threw a blanket over a box and smiled innocently at me taking another sip out of her glass.

"That my gift?" I asked.

"It's-"

She was cut off by a whine coming from the box.

"Rob..."

"Baby, don't get mad." She started, pulling the blanket off and holding up an odd looking puppy, who I would later find out was a Golden Retriever and Siberian Husky mix.

"What the fuck is this?"

"Shhhhh...shhhh... I said don't get mad." She pouted.

Robyn had been going through a lot, we both have. About seven months ago, after I got back from dropping the girls off at Momma's house, I came home to find Robyn passed out in a blood filled tub.