TWELVE

An hour later...
TREY POV
It had taken me a little longer than usual to get through my rounds, but it wasn't too late when I pulled up in front of the Brown house.

I honestly wasn't sure exactly what to think.

I hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary on the cameras. The only people that had left their home was Chris and their girls.

Either Robyn was crazy or whoever was there was still there.

Shouldn't that have made me move faster?

I let myself in the front door and headed for the backyard, where Robyn said she woke up. But the vodka bottle and receipt where lying next to the sink in the kitchen.

I picked up the receipt reaffirming the date and time stamp.

I couldn't help but wonder what happened to the second bottle of vodka.

Before I could offer it another thought, I heard some scuffling upstairs. Instinctively, I drew my firearm. It was a small pistol that I kept personally.

We weren't allowed to carry firearms while on guard shifts, but I had a concealed weapon permit.

"Robyn?" I called up the stairs. The last thing I wanted to do was scare her, I was sure she was already.

Of course I had told her to stay in her bedroom, but Robyn was stubborn. There was no doubt in my mind she hadn't listened to me.

There wasn't a response so I continued upstairs cautiously. Taking few breaths, I kept myself calm as I checked behind corners and doors.

With the evidence at hand, I was inclined to believe Robyn. On top of that, I know she wouldn't throw her family away. She would have been truthful.

"Rob, open up." I said knocking on her bedroom door and holstering my weapon.

Within seconds the door was open and her arms where wrapped tightly around my neck, she nuzzled her head into my neck sobbing as she thanked me.

"That's what you pay me for." I laughed trying to lighten the mood as I squeezed her back.

There's a fine line between a hug and an embrace. That line is a basic time allotment.

When we reached that line, I started to release her, but the way she held on made it very clear to me that she needed more than just a hug.

"You can't blame him Robyn. Trusting you after you... he couldn't have known Rob, you can't blame him for not-" I whispered until she cut me off.

"He's my husband." She cried, still not letting go. "When no one else believes me he's supposed to. He's supposed to be here but he want to be with- ... was I really that bad?"

There was something she wanted to say, something she needed to get off her chest. But I could tell it wasn't something she wanted to say out loud.

She pulled back looking up at my face as she waited for an answer.

It was the first time I had really gotten a look at her. The gash on her head was looking pretty bad. Only an idiot would think she got that from a fall. Someone had clearly hit her to knock her unconscious.

"...you weren't great Rob. It wasn't pretty. Chris defended you when no one else would, you need to give him the benefit this time. He's been doing it for you. He feels betrayed."

She gritted her teeth at my last sentence then slowly softened. "I know.."

Nodding slowly, accepting something she never said, Robyn wiped her tears from her eyes before they could roll down her cheeks.