Mind Ninja'd

Picture of Carson

After eighth period ends, I grab my books and fish for my phone from my book bag. After I find it, I walk out of the room and into the busy halls. Someone snatches my phone out of my hand, and I snap, "Hey!" Before looking up into amused dark blue eyes.

I scowl, "Give me my phone back."

Blue ignores me, and continues looking through it, which makes me squirm.

"So about this whole driving thing..." He begins, and I shake my head.

"There is no driving thing. Not one that involves you. From now on, Carson will be taking me to and from school," I say sternly.

"I'm not willing to accept that, Mare," he says, acting as if he's actually sorry about the fact.

"You don't have to. You can sit and wait for me every morning and every afternoon for all I care. But I will not be riding to school with you ever again, no matter how mad your mom will get," I snap.

"I think you're scared," he comments happily, still scrolling away on my phone.

"Scared of what?" I ask, anger boiling to the surface.

"Giving into your attraction."

I stiffen. This guy is way too perceptive.

"Trust me, Demon Spawn, I'm not scared of that happening. Ever. And why are you even pushing this? You don't like me anymore than I like you," I reply, perplexed.

He shoots me a look before his eyes return back to the screen. What the heck is he looking at that is so interesting?

"I like you tons, Mare," he says.

I push down the butterflies that try to flutter in my stomach and roll my eyes.

"You may like my body. But you don't like me," I urge. God, who am I trying to convince more, me or him?

"You underestimate my affection for you, sweetheart."

"Don't call me that ever again."

He chuckles, "Look, how about this? I pick you up, your little boyfriend can take you home. And then I'll prove just how much you like me too, sweetheart," he teases.

The need to beat him rises up in me, and before I can even process what this means, I find myself nodding and saying, "You're on. But no more third parties involved."

"Romance novels? That's surprising," he comments, a self satisfied smirk on his face.

My face heats up, and I snap, "What's surprising is your idiocy. It shouldn't be humanly possible. Now give me my phone back."

He hands it over with a wink, "See you tomorrow morning, Mare."

And then he disappears among the other students. For a second, I stand there, dumbfounded, as the realization hits me.

"That tool bag just mind ninja'd me again," I mumble grumpily while walking out of the school. When I spot Carson and his new old black Chevy car, he waves at me.

One look at my face and he gives me a scornful look.

"I told you to stay away from people named after colors," he scolds.

I groan and get in the passenger seat.

"He did the Star Wars mind trick again! One minute, I'm saying I'm never riding with him again, and the next I'm agreeing to let him drive me in the mornings," I grumble once he gets in and starts the engine.

He pulls out of the school without responding, and my foot taps nervously on the carpeted floor.

"I know you're a sucker for bad boys, Ren. I get it. We all have our weaknesses. But this is getting a little out of hand, don't you think? The guy just wants to use you like he has the rest of the school's female population. You know this, right?" He says finally.

I sigh, "Of course I know that, Car. And I'm only physically attracted to him anyways. His personality is absolutely terrible. It's not like I'm gonna fall in love with him or anything."

He nods, "Good, because I really don't want to see you get hurt. And he will hurt you."

"I know. But it's not like I can avoid him forever. Our Moms know each other and we go to the same school. He's a senior just like us. No matter what I do, he's going to be around. So why not take advantage of it and save you a little bit of gas money?"

He grins, "Yeah, I don't like you enough to spend money on you."

I shove him lightly with a smile, "Shut up, you know you love me."

"That's debatable," he teases.

"So how's your sister doing?" I ask him, and his smile disappears.

"The chemo is really taking a lot out of her. She's throwing up all of the time. And her hair is falling out again, so you can imagine how pissed she is about it. But what twelve year old girl wouldn't be?" He says with a humorless laugh and a shake of his head.

His hand tightens on the steering wheel and I wait for him to continue.

"It's not fair. All that leukemia has taken from her... She used to have these golden ringlets that went all the way down to the middle of her back. And her eyes were so green and full of light. Now they're just dull. She can't do anything any other sixth grader gets to. I mean, I hate to say this, but I want her to have a boyfriend. I want her to be able to sleep over at her friends houses. I want her to play soccer, and paint. I want her to not have to wear a mask whenever she's around people. I just..." He trails off as he pulls into my driveway.

"Hey. Look at me." I say gently. It takes him a few seconds, but he turns and lifts his eyes to mine.

"You are a wonderful big brother. And someday, she will get to do those things. This can't last forever," I whisper and grab his hands. He nods, and I pull him in for a hug.

I don't comment when his shoulders shake, or when I feel his tears through my shirt. I don't say anything as he pulls away and looks at me with sad, tear filled eyes. I just smile sadly at him and get out of the car.