The End as We Know It

Chapter 33 - Rachel Stark 

"A pantsuit? Really, Fury?" I ask, kinda mad. 

"Well, since you just got shot, I've made the executive decision to escort you to the sidelines. You are sitting this one out," he says definitively. I give a low grumble, but walk away, knowing he is right. I quickly change and throw my hair up into a bun, so the face mask won't read my hair. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How was the flight in Councilwoman?" Pierce asks me. I smile under the mask, feeling the electrons moving with my face. 

"It was alright, not the most comfortable flight I've ever been on," I lie. Fury had me dropped off at Dulles International Airport so that I could intercept the real councilwoman and blend in with the other members. I keep up with the rest of the group as best as I can, my head still spinning slightly from blood loss. Everything happened so fast. 

"Unfortunately, S.H.I.E.L.D. can't control everything," he comments over his shoulder as I pin my security badge onto the collar of my jacket. I watch him like a hawk as we make our way up to the World Security Council floor. The council spreads out around the room, looking out of the windows and checking out the wall of screens in front of us, waiting for Project: Insight to launch. Pierce says some monologue that I don't pay attention to, keeping my eye keenly on the man himself. We all grab a flute of champagne and raise a toast. I raise my glass, holding eye contact with Pierce as the PA system sounds. 

"Attention all S.H.I E.L.D. agents, this is Steve Rogers." I look around, not knowing what is happening. The other council members act similarly. "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth." Pierce walks calmly around the room. "S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader." The council looks to him, the mood in the room turning confrontational. "The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury." The other members look surprised by this. "And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." 

The PA clicks off, leaving the room in silence. 

"You smug son of bitch," a councilman says to Pierce. He smirks, walking towards the front of the room. Two agents walk into the room. 

"Arrest him!" another councilman demands. The agents walk to Pierce but stand behind him, affirming their allegiance by pulling a gun on us. Pierce flicks his eyebrows upwards, sighing in annoyance by the council's reaction. 

"I guess I have the floor," he seethes, looking over at us. I watch as his eyes travel behind me, fixated on the scene outside. I turn, watching the helicarriers lift off. I stand still in shock, not being able to believe how corrupted S.H.I.E.L.D. truly was. No one was able to stop the launch. I flip my comm on discreetly. 

"They are initiating launch." I hear Maria state bleakly over the comms. I want so badly to be in the field right now. 

"Hey Cap!" I hear Sam say in the comm. "I found those bad guys you were talking about." 

"You okay?" I hear Steve ask. 

"I'm not dead yet." Sam states. I turn my attention to the snake Pierce, blocking out the other conversation in my ear. He turns away from the window and looks out at us, his phone in his hand.