We Help Others But I Need Help

One Year Later

Chapter 20 - Rachel Stark

Ever since New York, the world has somewhat gone back to normal. I mostly spend my days in the labs, fiddling with some new weapons technology to arm the helicarriers. Fury wanted a general overhaul since the first one was so easy to get into, so that meant new codes, security systems, and weapons tech. All of that work has fallen to me and kept me fairly busy and out of the field. 

Steve is the exact opposite. Fury has been using him to help out with some missions here and there. Since he isn't an official member of the organization yet, he has only gone out on a couple of missions, which leaves him feeling fairly stir crazy. 

After that night, things were fairly awkward for a few weeks. We were cordial to each other in passing, but never really talked about anything too important. I was super busy and Steve had been assigned on a mission. He was gone for three weeks, so by the time he got back, I missed him too much to make it awkward by talking about that night again, so we let it slip. 

"Steve! We gotta get going!" I yell, looking over at the clock on my nightstand. I knock on the wall of my room, knowing he'd hear it since he was most likely on the other side. I excitedly tie my hair back in a ponytail and glance at myself once more in the mirror. This is my first field mission in months and I am so ready to get out of the lab. Don't get me wrong, I love the lab but the adrenaline doesn't pump through your body the same way as it does in the field. 

On top of this being my first mission out in a while, it is Steve and mine's first time in the field together since New York. I am super excited to work with him again and get to spend some time with him. I have been so busy that we haven't really been able to hang out as much as we used to. A knock on the door snaps me out of my thoughts. I rush over to it, opening it to reveal Steve in his street clothes. To the untrained eye, this would look perfectly normal, but I can see his new Captain America suit collar sticking out.

"You can come in or wait here. I need to cover this catsuit," I say, smiling over at him.

"I will come in," I hear him say as I walk to my room. 

"I love the new suit by the way," I shout to him, throwing on a hoodie. I hear him chuckle. 

"Yeah, a little less conspicuous. Takes some getting used to though. I am so used to having the brightest uniform." he says as I walk out of my room. I catch his eyes lingering on me and quickly look down. 

"Is there something on me?" I say, pulling my shirt straight so that I can check for stains. Steve quickly clears his throat and I look up, watching him rub the back of his neck.

"So how does this 'S.O' thing work?" he says, changing the subject. 

"Well, I basically do the entire mission, you help me take out a few guys and we leave," I say, grabbing my apartment keys from the counter. Fury, the sick little prankster he is, assigned me to be Steve's supervising officer for this mission. That means that this is his last test mission before he becomes an actual agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. I've promised Steve a perfectly embarrassing graduation ceremony after we come back. 

"Oh, c'mon you can't expect me to just sit on the side," he says with a stubborn look on his face. I chuckle.

"I'll let you help a little more than the standard new agent would normally be expected to because you are well... you," I say.

"Alright," he says with his heart-stealing smile. "We better get going. Let's take my bike."

"Oh man, I forgot to mention, my helmet was mysteriously found crushed at the front of Stark towers," I say with a shrug. He chuckles and we head to his bike.