In A Heart Beat- Chapter One

My life was never one of those picture perfect, television ready stories. Life has had it's ups and downs, but lately the puzzle pieces have not been falling in my favor.

My name is Abigail Katherine Jones. I am one of four children; I have one sister Rachel, and two brothers, Jason and Cole. Our father was brutally killed in a terrible car accident when we were very young.

The disaster struck on June 18th, 2007. At the time I was only 11 and my older sister Rachel was 12. Our father was taking us out for a special daddy daughters dinner; within five minutes of leaving home, a drunk driver took a sharp turn directly into the drivers side of the car. At that exact moment I knew my life was instantly going to be changed forever. Not ten seconds passed and daddy was lying motionless on the cool black pavement and I was sure he would never wake up again.

He would never live to see us walk across the stage and receive our diplomas as we graduate high school, he would never be there squeezing my hand as we opened the envelope that would accept us to the college of our dreams, he wouldn't be able to walk us down the aisle on our wedding days.

That reckless driver made not only a destructive dent in our car but in the rest of our lives too, there would always be a small part of our hearts missing that could never be replaced.

I have a small scar the size of a tack on my forearm, where a piece of the glass dug its way deep into my skin. It ironically formed into a small heart shaped scar. That heart on my forearm is always a constant reminder of daddy, and the tragic, unforgettable night.

I was daddy's little girl. My name even proves that; it means, "the father's joy". Too bad he's not around anymore; now I have nobody to turn to. I was never really close to anyone the way I was with dad. Nobody can and ever will replace that.

The night of the accident was the night my life changed for the worst. It was the worst night of my entire life. He used to joke around when I was upset and just say, "does that make the top five?" And I would laugh because I knew that that meant I was being ridiculous and I needed to just move on. I still get upset when I think about that one sentence that he used to say. It always used to cheer me up and it never would again.

My 'best' friend Ricky is now a stranger that I'm lucky to occasionally get a smile from in the hallways. The day dad died was the day I started to push everyone around me away, leaving myself with no one. My friendships became bitter and distant to the point where my friends became people that I used to know; strangers that I used to tell all my secrets to. Cold, dark, distance is what everything had become. Pain is all I felt and pain was the only thing I knew. Pain. I hate that word. Just the sound of it gives me chills up my spine.

Let me take you back to the day this all started...

---------------------------------------------

Hey everybody! What did you think of the first chapter? Hope you like it! Please comment! I want honest opinions so let me know what you think! Thanks!

~Keeks02