XXV - It feels good not to be officially single

*Amanda*

We get dressed after lunch and hurry ourselves out of the house. It is a beautiful day. The birds are singing and there's this fresh breeze in the air.

We are almost alone in the underground. It's Friday so everybody is probably at work or at the park. We arrive downtown in a couple of minutes; the streets, unlike the underground, are extremely crowded and everybody seems quite busy.

Friendly reminder that school's starting on Monday, Amanda.

We get to the ice-cream parlor called Santorini, which, according to Theodor, has the best ice-creams in town.

'Just seat here-' – I help him with the crushes – '-and I'll get the ice-creams, ok?' I kiss his forehead.

I get inside and I reluctantly stand behind a black guy in the line, waiting like the civilized person I am.

Looks like everyone has decided to come and have a lovely ice-cream today.

*Amanda* (15 min later)

'Jesus, finally... there was a huge line. Here is yours: chocolate with salted caramel topping...'

'You know me, girl.'

'...And mine.' I seat down in front of him. There are quite a few people around.

We stay quiet for a moment, just enjoying our lovely cup of delight. Theodor is against the sun, so his eyes look lighter now and his hair turns into this gold color which is my weakness. I enjoy him eating so pleasantly. He notices and stops eating.

'You look extremely handsome with that mustache, Theodor.'

'What do you mean?' – He gets embarrassed and starts blushing. I run my finger across his upper lip and he is mustache free.

'There you go.' We both smile.

He starts gobbling up again and says 'We should hurry up; I still need to stop at my place.'

He grabs his napkin and wipes his mouth.

*Amanda*

I'm in the car. Apparently Theodor had forgotten something at his house, so I'm waiting for him outside. The last time we'd been here was on my birthday night, so there was still blood all over the grass.

Quick reminder: ask Madeleine to clean that.

I look at the mirror. These last couples of nights of no sleep had left my under eyes looking like potato bags. My hair is in a messy ponytail, as always. My lack of sleep is also reflecting on my skin, which is breaking out a lot, but Theodor doesn't seem to care about it, and I don't either.

Welcome to teenage hood, Amanda.

I try to fix my hair up, unsuccessfully. It gets me frustrated. It has grown so much since the last time I've cut it with Lauren, that I'd say that, if it continues growing like this, I'll get to Christmas looking like Rapunzel.

I see Theodor approaching the car, walking with the crushes and, to my surprise, I also see Madeleine carrying a huge bouquet with both hands, which almost covered her whole face. Theodor opens the car door and tells me to step out of the car.

'What is this, Theodor? What-'

'Madeleine, if you may...' – He gestures towards me and Madeleine hands me the flower bouquet. It was full of my favorite flowers.

'Lilies...' – I whisper.

'Indeed, Amanda. Lilies.' Madeleine smiles at me, apparently making a huge effort not to start smiling and crying at the same time. She goes back inside. There's just me, Theodor, and this huge bouquet of flowers now.

'Well...' – Theodor is shaking and stuttering. I kiss him to break the tension. It helps. 'You know I like you, Amanda. I've always liked you since the day I saw you in that stupid summer camp...'

Don't blush, Amanda.

'...And you are honestly the most beautiful girl I've ever met. And I know you think this is cheesy, and I know you are not the type of girl boys fall in love with, but I'm glad for that. Because you're different...'

Is that good?

'...And you probably have no idea of how fast my heart races when I see you, or how scared I am to lose you. Well, and I haven't asked you properly, have I? The thing I wanted to say is...'

Oh my God.

'... I love you. Will you be my girlfriend?'

I wish I could stop time right now. Theodor's right. I'm not the type of girl boys fall in love with; I'm not girly, or sexy, or rich. I sleep with my mouth open every night, I am a tomboy, my hair is always up, my clothes are usually wrinkled. I am so imperfect and indecisive. But there's one thing I know for sure: I think I'll love Theodor for a long time.

'Yes, it would be a pleasure to be Mrs. Dyes.' I just drop the bouquet and hug Theodor tightly. 'Yes, yes, yes...' I kiss him repeatedly. And then we hug again more calmly and I place my head on his chest. 'Your heart's racing...'

'Why that tone of surprise?'

'I don't know... Am I your first girlfriend?' – I ask him seriously. He stops for a minute and I get my answer back.

'No, but you will be my last, alright, beautiful?'

He calls me beautiful like it's my name.

'Alright.'