Resurrection

9

One day Carolyn finds Nelson on his way to training with his squad.

"I came to say hello. I work as a Sentinel now," Carolyn says, "I think that's the best I can do for right now."

Seven shakes his head. "Such a waste of talent, to have you sitting at a computer."

"You think so?"

Nelson nods.

"Anyway, I've also been told to send you vampire-hunting."

"Vampires are not real," he states, clearly out of the loop.

"Well, one is," Carolyn says with a devilish giggle, "And you'll find zombies are also very real."

Nelson understands why Carolyn chose to work in Ops. She doesn't have to go on nonsensical crusades looking for vampires, green chickens, or dogs with Australian accents. It's safer to cough orders into someone's ear instead of acting them out instead.

Nelson first thought the blonde girl was someone he could relate with but now he knows she adopted a cleverness she never showed at Overwatch. He and she share something, but they are by no measure the same. Deep in their hearts, they brew a resentment against the Overlord.

Therefore, Nelson feels he can't judge her. He solemnly lifts a hand in farewell, thinking about the day they meet again and strike down the senile man.  

.........

Because of the infection, the Foresight agents couldn't simply fly into the United States of Asia. Operation began with a flew to the fiery Middle-East and then dutifully emigrate from there.

Phones were not too hard to steal, as the border cities were in chaos. With the agents in contact with each other, they were able to spread out in that massive, damned land called the U.S.A.

Seven didn't really know where to look, as all he ever saw were infected lumbering about the States. The hunt spanned about two months, and none of the agents caught a glimpse or rumor of any vampire.

One of Seven's squadmates kept a dog, and consequently a dog whistle. Once, he literally got caught with his pants down when the infected swarmed him. In his desperation, the agent blew his whistle as hard as he dared, and for some reason the zombies all fell face-first at his feet, allowing him to scramble away, holding his pants up as his pooch barked it's confusions aloud.

Seven was relieved the mission had been of some use. He had lost countless men - in those days, he owned a cheap flip phone which he couldn't figure out how to change from Arabic. The phone only ever rang when one of his fellow operatives had been surrounded or infected. He always answered this phone, regardless of what time it went off. He felt it respectful to listen to his comrades' wills and final words.

The land was too vast and the infected were too many for the Foresight agents to stick together or assist each other. Thus, Seven listened primarily to resigned, tired voices. The mission seemed like an utter failure.

The United States of Asia ceased to exist. Its citizens, undead, walk aimlessly and all around.

.........

I hear a nice song. I rise from my cot, smiling, my human eyes shut.

The song beckons me. It sounds feminine. My mother and Kassandra sing it softly.

I feel the doctors' excitement as they scribble on their clipboards madly. They'd be hopping up and down and yelling if their observations weren't so crucial.

I open my eyes and face my revivers. It feels so right to give them a thumbs up and a flash of my teeth. They aren't in the room with me, yet I can still hear their celebratory clamor.

I lay back down and clutch at my stomach, which still aches. I can feel the virus, but I know I'm back.

A Foresight scientist lets me know I'm in something called a "hypersonic chamber" and that I'll have to remain in it until my treatment is complete. "Thank you," I say, my voice rough from lack of use.

"Rest easy now. We'll bring you breakfast in a couple minutes."

"I'm starving. I feel terrible."

"You look terrible, but you're in good hands, Felix."

"My parents! How are-"

"Your parents are fine. They think you're dead but we'll pass on the news, we can guarantee you that!"

I want to tell them the few secrets of the universe I hold fresh in my mind, but the Inner Feline insists I keep my mouth shut. I think feeling everything's existence then only feeling mine wouldn't make sense, even to some of the finest minds in the world.

I think I'll let these miracle workers celebrate in peace - this is a day of joy.

But now I remember how I died.

I remember the conflicted look on Kassandra's face before she squeezed the trigger. She moved sullenly then the water began to dampen the ground near my head. I don't know what she's thinking!