Out With Leave

12

My wrist weapon broke when Kassandra drowned me. I handed it over to the trusty Foresight engineers, who issued me a replacement a few days later. The engineers aren't as talkative as the doctors, but they are just as smart.

This new weapon feels comfortable and extremely light. They removed the screen and it makes the whole thing feel more like a part of me instead of an accessory. The WB3-BK fires the same Royal arrowheads as the Overwatch version, fires them at a faster speed yet is just as quiet. It seems to be reverse-engineered from the old one; it's more kevlar and carbon fiber than steel.

I know why they were being so generous. I'm not officially signed as a Foresight agent but Ops would love me join them. I have a feeling that having me would get Ops members some sort of salary bonus or something. I admit I haven't joined Foresight because I'm afraid of making another Overlord.

Someone comes before me "on behalf of the President of the Collaborated Quarters of Bristol," and sits me down to talk me into joining Foresight. She is the Secretary of State, apparently. She is insistent - aggressive, even - and makes me repeat myself a couple times, which I do not like. She says Foresight and I have the same objective - take down the Overlord - and that by not signing I was being unreasonable. She reminds me I would be dead if it wasn't for Foresight's doctors. I remind her I thanked these doctors generously by letting them study my anatomy.

I tell her I am a flammable fuel and Foresight is a spark. The Secretary says, "That's a picture completely different to mine." She tells me the "people of our country," including my own parents, would be proud of me if I fought for the Foresight government program. I tell her my parents are already proud of me and that the "people of our country" don't even know who I am. She says all of Bristolia and all of the world will know me by my real name - Felix Godinez. I tell her that sounds scary and that my life is too strange already.

The Secretary is somehow all smiles by the end of our conversation and she recommends I take her advice. She shakes my hand and leaves. I transform and use my cat ears to listen in on the interesting vocabulary she uses in the hallway.

---------

A few days later

It is almost time to take fight. The sun yawns on the horizon, saying its last goodbyes, the smell of alcohol effusing from its mouth. The skyscrapers sport golden outlines before a rosy sky. The Raven tries to remember Californian sunsets. Her gaze falls.

She stands on the roof of the ABI building, right at the edge. Her dark hair and feathers move gently in the breeze. The Raven and Mr. Wen had led the brigade safely back to the city.

The Raven feels the owl before she actually sees it. She steps back and removes her feather suit. Kassandra holds her arm out and lets the owl dig its sharp talons into her arm. She winces, takes the tag from the owl's leg and reads:

You're not very good at killing me. I'm coming over if you want to try again. I have something different in mind, though. Do you trust me?
The little guy's name is Wisdom. He's pretty fast. See you soon.
- F

Kassandra sighs and holds the note to her chest. Wisdom looks at her quizzically, at which Kassandra says, "Everything's fine. I just feel really happy."

Wisdom bobs his head.

Kassandra goes downstairs for a pen and a piece of paper. Mr. Wen and his men seem to have many questions when they see their hero's companion. Fortunately for Kassandra, their thoughts quickly return to the families and futures they've lost.

Kassandra writes:

Let's just run away. I don't want us to think about any of this. I trust you.
The owl's cute!
- K

Wisdom looks eager to deliver her note. Kassandra releases Wisdom from the roof and returns to her groupie downstairs.