Two Versus the World

14

When Foresight unveils their hypersonic treatment, the world takes a much-needed sigh of relief. Thousands of treatment centers open along the militarized western borders of the late U.S.A. There are now more treated than infected and the United Nations mandates the United States government maintains sovereignty over its former territories.

The Foresight program from the Collaborated Quarters of Bristol is awarded a Nobel Prize for saving humanity.

The UN also condemns Overwatch and its unnamed leader for genocide and illegal human experimentation. Nameless people survived the Overlord's massacres and gave their testimonies in courtrooms. The agents have no identities: these persons have no names, no recollection of their lives before Overwatch, or knowledge of what year it is. These survivors can't tell their stories without fidgeting, flexing, or else mumbling "Yes, my Lord," under their breaths.

I haven't seen Seven and Carolyn so sullen. My guess is they aren't happy with how Operation Firepaw went. They think having Kassandra at HQ is an extreme, unnecessary risk. Admittedly, it feels odd how much Ops accommodates Kassandra and me, even though Carolyn swears Kassandra is an Overwatch spy.

The Foresight researchers are ecstatic. At least I imagine they are - within their reach are the world's most scientifically valuable human beings.

That's how I see things. I myself don't like being seen as some sort of god. Kassandra, on the other hand, seems comfortable with that kind of treatment.

Ops grants each of us a living space, keeping a close eye on us. They watch us unethically close, in fact. They use cameras to capture every moment and cubic inch of our private lives.

Over the course of several months, Kassandra and I see each other extremely infrequently. We avoid each other by feeling each other's Inner Feline, our soulmate connection I am eternally grateful for.

I once gave in and kissed Kassandra's cheek. It's been difficult for both of us. She seems so comfortable at this staying-away-from-each other-thing. I thought she'd be having nervous breakdowns every day, but she carries herself around firmly.

For these months and several more, there have been no news of the Overlord. In her interrogation, I was told Kassandra insisted the Overlord is actually "more powerful than ever." The Ops members learned about the Overlord's attack on her, and asked if he was senile, showing signs of infection, or was willing to turn himself in. Word is she strongly denied all these possibilities.

I heard from Seven that some members think the Overlord never even left Catalina Island, and was instead buried alive in his base. However Seven and I don't have to bicker in front of the cameras to know this guess is absurd.

Foresight's researchers lust for a sample of Kassandra's blood, but she is adamant. I heard she threatened she'd slaughter everyone in sight, should she find out her genetic information had been taken without her permission. I firmly stood before Ops and told them I would not stop her.

There are no more operations for me or anyone at HQ. It all seems like the Overlord could never be a threat again. Ops removes Kassandra and me from headquarters because we again refuse to sign as Foresight agents. Carolyn and Seven watch as we, the two freaks, walk out the front door and into the cold world.