A Day to Remember

15

Kassandra and I can't live comfortably in the Collaborated Quarters. The Bristolians are too nosy and too wary of us. Paparazzi follow us everywhere, and all the news ever shows is the latest gossip of the Catman-Vampire romance.

Kassandra has become tired of the people's bullspit and is now sick. I let her have my neck as frequently as the doctors say I can, but she's only getting worse. There's no use taking her to a hospital again; Kassandra seems immune to all treatments and prescriptions.

I'm working as a bellman, earning a sad salary. My boss somehow agreed to let Kassandra and me live in one of the rooms. I assured him the arrangement would only be temporary, but at the end of each day I really don't think we're going anywhere.

My nights alternate between crying to sleep and feeling my Inner Feline. It is all foggy. Vague flashes of the Overlord slaughtering helpless people, mixed in frightening images of a ruthless Kassandra, as well as a heated sword-fight between two Sevens. I beg the Inner Feline to restore Kassandra's health, but the Inner Feline does not respond.

Kassandra lies in bed, with the covers pulled over her and the shutters closed. We can't afford any sunlight to harm her now. It's my lunch break and I float to her side. "Hey."

She stirs then lays her dark-brown eyes on mine. She replied, "Kitty."

I feel bubbly every time I look into her eyes, whether they are dark as they are now, or red when she hasn't fed. "I think we should go."

"Go where?"

"Anywhere."

"Are you on your break? What time is it?" I shush her down before she becomes too unsettled. She looks up at me with sad eyes of defeat. She looks away and utters, "I just wish..."

"Okay," I say, stopping her before she could finish, "We'll go there."

She lights up then darkens again. It is now I see the bags under her eyes and acne breaking out on her face, two qualities I've associated to Kassandra. "Felix, we can't afford it."

"It's okay."

"No it's not."

"It is."

She shakes her head. "I can feel how excited you are," she said, "I know what you want, and I wish I could give it to you, but I don't think I have enough time."

"I've been praying and I just have the feeling everything's going to be alright."

"I'm going to ruin you. You're never going to be able to forget about me and I don't think I can die knowing that."

"This trip isn't about me. I'm doing this for you."

"We can't afford this. What are you going to do when I'm gone? Live on the streets?"

"If I have to. Stray cats have it bad, but I don't imagine they're too unhappy."

"Idiot. You're a real nobhead," she concludes. I give her a "thank you" peck before going back down to work.

After quitting my job and we leave for England, where we think we'll spend the rest of our time together. As soon as we've landed, I see Foresight agents in disguises and I think about not telling Kassandra but she feels me worry. She looks at me and I say, "It's nothing," as we walk past one of Seven's men.

Kassandra is taking the sunlight surprisingly well, considering how weak she says she feels. I'm constantly at her side, ready to help her.

She is dressed modestly - blouse and jeans and for once devoid of leather. She has left the ends of her hair red and let her shimmering black roots show. She has also left her eyebrow piercings in.

I also wear plain clothing. It turns out my battered Overwatch suit is easy to hide underneath regular clothes.

Besides the fact Foresight agents are tailing us, we are having an eventless day on English soil. Kassandra doesn't like my lavish shopping choices but doesn't complain about the spoils, either.

"Someone's trying really hard to get laid," she says, looking into the bag of fine clothes I bought her.

I laugh. "Hopefully not too hard." Another couple looks at us quizzically as they pass.

We go eat by the River Thames. The calm water takes on a silvery look under the overcast sky and a suggestive breeze is picking up. It's a day to remember: we see the sights, mock the British accent and watch the sun set behind the historical foreground. Wisdom joins us at a bench as the last rays of light tickle the skyline.

"Tiger?" Kassandra calls, her head on my shoulder.

"Uhuh?"

"I wasn't born to do good in this world. I wasn't born to be a hero."

"It could seem that way."

"But you... you can and will do a lot of amazing things."

"I always try my best."

"That old man is a vampire now, thanks to me. He got away with what's mine."

"The Feline told me," I reply, "It's okay."

"I'm sorry."

"N-no, don't worry about it."

She does this groaning noise. It's a purring sound I never thought her capable of.  "I think I believe in God now."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Just in case Hell is bad as I think it is."

"Oh."

The orange on the horizon is gone and in its place is a sinister blue. I can't keep my eyes from going blurry.

"Forget this world; let me do one good thing before I'm gone forever. I have no future," she says, straightening up, "But I can give you now."

"Then, just this once, I'll take now and savor it forever!" I proclaim, blinking the tears away and taking Kassandra in my arms.