Snowflake: Part 1

I wake at noon and find Kassandra sleeping at my side. Covered by the white sheets and under the strong sunlight, she looks like a Greek goddess. This is the most peaceful I've ever seen her.

The Inner Feline ebbs in a way that makes me worry. It feels like the Beast has broken free of prison. I didn't expect this day to come so soon. Why now?

I don't want to wake my queen. Her breaths are so calm and deep they unsettle me. The sight is something out of fiction - Kassandra, as fierce and aggressive a vampire she is, sleeps like any regular person.

The last of my money went into this dinky motel room. I wish I could provide Kassandra with more than just blood and sex. I stare at the ceiling blankly and realize how utterly powerless I am.

She presses against me and kisses me without opening her eyes. "Stupid idiot. You give me more than anyone has ever bothered to give me."

"You mispronounced 'good morning,'" I say with an insulting British accent.

Her smile is convincing. I adore how the sun highlights her beautiful features.

"Of course you have an Inner Feline," I mutter.

"Is that what you call it?"

"What? Why are you laughing?"

"Because it's funny! 'Inner Feline?' Are you serious?"

I roll my eyes and look at the ceiling again.

"It led me to you," she says.

I turn to her.

She says, "Once I was on my own, I never knew where I was going. But I was always following this hunch - this feeling."

"Why did you follow it?"

"It gave me something to do. I didn't think it was leading me anywhere but it was something."

"Well, you found me."

"You were so scared. You should've seen your face," she comments.

"You. Looked. Feral. That's my excuse and I'm sticking by it."

"I'm sorry I scared you, kitty." She pours and pokes my nose.

"I wasn't scared, and you really have to stop calling me that."

"Make me."

I attempt to tickle her but she is no fun. She's apparently isn't ticklish anywhere on her body. That or I haven't found the right spot yet. She laughs, not because I've figured out her weakness but because I can't find it.

Her laughter turns into coughing, so I stop.

"I'm not ticklish!" she roars with an irritated tone, "So stop trying." She turns away and sits on her edge of the bed. I feel her flame flickering.

Hey, I call.

She doesn't answer. I turn into the Cat and place a paw on her shoulder. She sighs and strokes the fur on it.

I don't think you're going to Hell, I tell her.

"But I want to. It makes sense."

"I read all about Beijing. Is that what this is about?"

She continues feeling my paw's fur.

"Kassandra," I prod, "All those people you killed - do you at least remember their faces?"

She shakes her head. I stare at the back of her head and swallow. She isn't caressing my paw anymore. She holds it tightly.

I continue: "Listen to me very carefully - do you feel guilty about being the Raven?"