Chapter 5

When we get to Skull Rock, Peter takes my hand and leads me inside. Outside of it, I notice that there are tiny boats tied up. Which means that the other boys are also here.

When I get inside, I see that all of them seem to not know what's going to happen next. Unlike them, I know it's not going to end well for me. Peter must've told them some lie to get them to believe that it's for the best. But, I know it's not.

Peter leads me to an open space in the cave, hands tied behind my back with only my dagger tucked in my boot, which he thankfully doesn't know about. I'm thankful that he doesn't because that means that I still have a chance against him. No doubt he has some tricks up his sleeve that he wants to test on me, so I'm glad I've come prepared.

Peter turns me to face him. "Are you ready?" he asks, looking into my eyes with a serious look.

"Yes, Peter. I'm ready," I say.

"Close your eyes," he says with a smile.

"Oh, alright. Make it quick. I want to open my eyes soon," I say as I fake a giggle.

"Oh, trust me...I will," he says with a low chuckle. "Keep your eyes closed, or you'll spoil the surprise."

I lean on Peter for support. Suddenly, I feel the worst possible pain that I could feel ever. It feels like someone is slowly squeezing the breath out of me. I open my eyes. I find Peter smirking at me. I want to scream at him. But, when I try, nothing comes out.

"Aw...what's the matter, Little Bird? Too hard for you to chirp and call for someone to save you?" he taunts with a soft chuckle. "That's what I thought. You see, for quite some time, I've admired your...strong-willed belief in me. I held onto that when I met you. When I saved you from the captain, I knew that you were the right one to help me carry out this task. This heart-wrenching task of...gaining eternal life. I know you've probably heard that before. 'Heart of the Truest Believer', I think? Well, I doubt that you'll be surprised to know that that's exactly why I brought you here. Because I need to live longer than the common human."

He gestures to the big hourglass in the center of the room filled with what looks like pixie dust. "Sadly, my time has been cut short. I'm dying as we speak. But, once my full strength has been restored, I'm planning to overtake your world. Yes, I know it will be sad...but, thankfully, you won't be around to see it," he says with a smirk.

"But, Peter...you forgot one teeny...tiny detail. I can still fight because I'm not dead."

"How will you fight me? You'll magically free yourself from those ropes, try to kill me...and fail?" he asks with a small laugh. "Actually, that doesn't sound so bad. Alright, Little Bird. Let's test your little theory...and just see who kills who, shall we?" he says as he cuts the ropes with a flick of his wrist.

Challenge accepted, Peter, I think to myself.

"You're a fool to think that you can actually fight me and win. Now, let's just see how well you do against me..." he says with a confident look on his face as he circles around me like a cheetah about to kill his prey.

"Oh, Peter...I honestly think that you're the fool. Sometimes, at night, back at Hangman's Tree, I snuck out and went to Tinker Bell's treehouse," I say with an equally confident look. His confidence quickly fades. I turn around to face him. "And, guess what she taught me?" I coo as I push him back against the stone wall with as much wind magic as I can conjure.

"No! That little pest! I knew that I should've killed her when I had the chance. And, now you actually believe that we're both equally matched? Well, my Little Bird, that's where you're wrong," he says with a soft chuckle. "You see, I taught Tinker Bell all the magic that she knows now, and she taught all the other fairies. So, you see, I'm much more experienced in the practice of magic than both of you."

Then, he comes closer to me, and threateningly whispers, "Soon, I will get what I want. Then, you and the little magic you know will be powerless to stop me." And, with that, I feel the searing pain again in my stomach. I look down to see an arrow dipped in some unrecognizable grey liquid. I start to lose consciousness.

"I will stop you, Pan. One way or another," I say weakly.

The last thing I see is Peter staring at me with an evil smirk on his face. Then, I hear him say, "You don't get it! Peter Pan never fails! Good luck trying to escape this time, Little Bird." Then, I black out.