Chapter 19

When we return to Hangman's Tree, Peter says, "Gather 'round, boys! It's time for a lesson!" and leads the boys and me to Echo Cave. Once we get there, Peter says, "Today, we will further enhance your skills. First, you need to be able to take a beating. Any volunteers?"

The boys stay dead silent. "No?" Peter asks with an eyebrow raised. "Alright...Amber...go on, step up..."

Awesome, I think to myself as I turn to face him. He's finally decided to "punish" me for what happened this morning...

I nervously stand next to him. Out of nowhere, Peter swings a bow-staff at me. But, to my surprise, I grab it. Then, I turn around and knee Peter in the stomach. Then, I punch him in the face.

"You little..." Peter hisses with his eyes narrowed. Then, he swiftly kicks me in the stomach. It instantly creates excruciating pain.

"Get up..." Peter says mercilessly. I struggle to get on my knees. Nevertheless, I do what he says. I adjusted my stance, and I feel another kick that sends me flying to the cave wall. My head bashes against it, and I feel a little drop of blood running down. I start to feel unconscious until adrenaline hits me and I start to punch Peter. When he least expects it, I put my ankles in between his and send him falling to the ground. The boys all let out gasps. Peter gets up and quiets them.