Chapter 14

"Well, well, well. Look what we have here. Hello there, little Amber," Peter says with a smirk as I quickly turn around. "I see that you haven't given up yet. Good for you..."

"Oh, trust me, Peter...I know I can kill you...and I will. Just as soon as I do this," I say as I try to thrust my hand into his chest and pull out his heart. But, he's too quick for me and grabs my wrist and twists it, instantly creating excruciating pain.

"Oh, Amber...I forgot to tell you something," he coos in my ear. "There's another part of this game that I had mentioned earlier. While you were unconscious, I cursed your heart to glow whenever you fell in love with one person...me. Luckily for you, I did the same thing to my own heart. The rule of my new game is this...do not, under any circumstances, fall in love. Because, if you fall in love with me, you have to stay in Neverland as my prisoner and I take back what is rightfully mine: being the leader of my Lost Boys. If I fall in love with you, you get to kill me, return to your old life as the new leader of the Lost Boys, and forget that this ever happened. Are we in agreement?" He asks.

"Fine..." I say, glaring at Peter.

"And, just so we're clear, I will not make this easy for you. One of us will fall in love with the other. And that will not be me because-"

"Peter Pan never fails, I know. But, I'm about to break that winning streak. Don't feel so confident, Pan. I know what I'm doing. That's why the boy usually falls for the girl. Not the other way around. We're professionals at this game," I say with a smirk.

"I don't doubt it," he says starting to walk out of Skull Rock. "Well? Are you going to come back with me or not?"

"Back to where, exactly?"

"Hangman's Tree, of course..."

"Fine. But, I warn you, Peter. If you do anything to complicate this, I will make it harder for you to resist me. Play any tricks on me and I swear-"

"No tricks...just a friendly suggestion...I promise," he says as he takes my hand and we walk out of Skull Rock and take a boat back to camp in complete and utter silence.

When we get back to Hangman's Tree, Peter tucks me into my bunk. "This won't change anything between us, you know..." I say, sitting up.

"I know...I just thought that this was the gentlemanly thing to do..."

"Oh, Peter," I say with a sigh. "We both know that you're anything but a gentleman..."

"Yes, well," he says with a chuckle, "I would've left you half-dead back at Skull Rock if it wasn't for our little wager..."

"Oh, right. I completely forgot that, under all that fake charm, you're just a selfish, cheating, lying little snake looking for his next victim..."

"Ah...I never thought that you'd gone soft for a minute, Little Bird...I like it that way...makes this more of a challenge," he says with a wink.

"I guess," I sigh as I roll my eyes. "Good night, Peter."

"Good night, Amber," he says as he softly kisses my cheek just before I fall asleep.