Chapter 18

When I wake up, Peter still has his arms softly wrapped around me and he's still asleep. His arms around me make me feel a mixture of discomfort and safety.

Why it gives me discomfort should be obvious. But, as to why it gives me a feeling of safety, I'll never know. Maybe I feel safe because I know that he's the same boy that was powerful enough to protect me from anything...as long as he wasn't trying to kill me. I silently slip out of his arms and head to the river to take a bath.

When I get there, I silently take off my clothes and slip into the water. The icy water seems to seep through my skin and slip into my veins. It quickly wakes me up. I fully submerge myself and, when I come back up, I don't even have to look back to know that someone's been staring at me.

"Enjoying the view?" I ask with a smirk.

"You have no idea," they answer. I look up. As expected, I see Peter staring down at me, while he hovers a few feet above the river.

"Peter...you're staring," I say.

"Am I?" he says, quickly turning away.

"You are...and with my clothes off, no less," I say with a small laugh.

"Yes, well...I've gotta say...I'm not disappointed," he says with a laugh.

"Peter!" I scream as I glare at him, which makes him laugh even harder. "Peter Pan, I swear, if I had my crossbow right now, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot you out of the sky!"

"What? I just complimented you. And, I was worried about you. You can't just secretly sneak off like that, you know? Me doing this is the least of your problems..."

"Really?" I say as I raise an eyebrow.

"Sneak off like that again and I'll have no choice but to kill you now, Little Bird."

"We both know you can't, Pan," I say with a scoff, looking up at him.

"Ah but, my Little Bird, you underestimate me..." Peter says as he softly touches my cheek.

"Really? I think not. You could've killed me four times...and yet...you didn't. Honestly...I don't think you can..."

"Oh...just wait...enough talk for now. Shall we go back to Hangman's Tree, Amber?"

"Fine..."

Then, we walk back to Hangman's Tree in silence.