Chapter 17

I went back to Hangman's Tree with Peter and the boys. I quickly notice that it's dark. But, thankfully, the boys had lit a fire while I was gone. The boys run to the fire with whoops and Indian cries. I almost had the urge to do the same, but Peter grabbed my arm and held me back.

"Wait. I need to show you something," he whispers in my ear. We silently slip back into the forest. He leads me into a little clearing with a tree in the middle of it.

"Wow. I'm surprised that I've never seen this place before," I say.

"Of course, you haven't," he says with a smirk. "I'm the only one who knows about it."

"Why did you decide to show me?" I say, looking at him.

"Because of this," he says as he points at an opening in the tree. He crouches down, apparently looking into it. He motions for me to do the same, and I do. I gasp silently. When I look inside, I see fairies. Two, in particular, happen to catch my eye. They look like the king and queen because they're dressed very elegantly. I notice that they're dancing to the music that's being softly played by the musicians.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Peter whispers behind me, making me jump a little. I turn around to see him standing and offering me a hand. "Care to dance?" he asks. I take his hand and we start to slowly waltz around the clearing. We dance for a while, then we go back to Hangman's Tree to sleep.

When we get back, Peter tucks me in and kisses me on the cheek as always. But, this time, he climbs into the bunk along with me and holds me in his arms as I slowly drift off to sleep.