Chapter 17

Chapter 17- Road Trip (Day 2)

        The next morning came very early.  It was going to be a long day of driving.   "Sarah, Chase, let's get some breakfast and then get on the road!" John yelled.  "ugh..." Sarah moaned, just a few more minutes of sleep please!"   John shook his head, grabbed their bags and went out to the car.  Sarah slowly got out of bed and grabbed her things.  The three of them grabbed some doughnuts, coffee and orange juice and headed towards North Dakota.  

    The car ride was uneventful but peaceful as Chase listened to the radio and played on his phone, Sarah just stared out the window looking at the scenery and John just driving and humming along to the radio. 

     Surprisingly enough, the car ride went quicker than expected.  They stopped for the night in Ramsey, a small town in North Dakota that probably wasn't even on the map though Sarah.   She was positive that the hotel was the only one around but her Dad made it clear that he was especially tired and needed to stop.  Sarah was thankful, she had enough of sitting still and Chase, well he had to sneak off to Heaven.  He had a terrible feeling most of the day that evil was near.  And it was.  Trevor had sworn his oath to seek revenge on Chase for killing his brother.  

     Sarah couldn't help but dream of her time in California.  There were so many things to do!  She had always wondered what Disneyland was like.  She fell asleep dreaming of the rollercoasters and all the fun she would have.   John slept easily, he was tired but couldn't sleep.  He heard the basketball bouncing on the cement outside and he wondered who would be playing this late at night.  He peered out the curtain.  It was Chase!  John stepped outside.  "Pass it to me!"  Surprised to see him, Chase bounced the ball to John and  whoosh, he sank the ball for a 3 pointer shot.  "Nice shot" said Chase.  "I honestly didn't think I had it in me.  So, what are you doing out here this late?"   Chase shrugged his shoulders, "I just needed to think".  "Well, I am here for you if you need anything!"  John said as he put his arm around Chase.  "Now, come on, we have a long day tomorrow, lets get inside."  The two walked back inside to the hotel, not thinking that they had left Sarah alone and vulnerable.