Chapter 6: Secrets

Rob's POV

I woke the next morning to a slight discomfort. I was too warm. I mean, really warm. I opened my eyes, thinking maybe I had pulled over too many blankets. To my surprise, the only blanket I found was Emma.

She seemed so peaceful, though I knew, deep down she was troubled. I also knew that I was the main cause for that trouble that covered her delicate life. I hated myself for what I did to her, but only if she knew.

If there was such a thing as perfection, I was currently snuggled next to a small piece of it. I smiled. Running my fingers along her cheek, I wished this simple act made everything okay.

A small vibrating sensation rumbled my pocket.

My phone.

I eased myself from the bed. Stepping out into the hall, I took the call.

"Hello?" I kept my voice down. Making sure I didn't wake her.

"Robert!" my sister snapped at me. "You need to get here. Now!" I was confused by her urgency.

"Why? What's the problem?" I asked.

"What's the problem? The problem is your girlfriend! Banging on my door at eight in the morning, asking about you!" I sighed. Pushing my fingers through my hair.

Kristen.

"Well can't you just - I don't know, talk to her. I'm sort of busy" I couldn't leave Emma. Not now. Not ever.

"No Robert. She's your girlfriend. You have to talk to her" during the long three years I was away from Emma, I had become rather close to a girl named Kristen Stewart. And though she possessed my physically, she never owned me emotionally. No, that was Emma's job.

I paced the floor. I knew how Kristen was and I didn't want her making a scene. Especially at my sister's house. I thought about it before making a decision.

"Okay, okay I'll be there. Just stall her till I get there. Please?"

"Fine, but Rob?" she called.

"What?"

"Whatever love your trying to find was lost three years ago" she said. "You have to make up your mind because you can't have them both" on that high note, she hung up. I stood there. Allowing her words to soak over me, before I went to get dressed.

**

"Leaving again I see" I jumped. Turning, I saw Cary seated at the breakfast bar. Laptop resting on the counter.

"It's not leaving Cary" I told him. While putting on my suit jacket. "It's an emergency" and in all sense it truly was. He nodded. Unbelievingly.

"Oh I bet. I bet it's real touch trying to manage two girlfriends. Not saying Emma's your girlfriend" I stood there. Wide eyed and surprised. He turned the computer around to show me the screen. He had searched up a photo of me and Kristen. We stood outside the airport. The angle of the photo was bad, but you could tell that I had kissed her.

"Cary listen-"

"No you listen" he bit out. "You think just because you stayed the night and she cuddled close next to you, that everything is okay? I don't think so. Everything is far from okay"

"And I know that" truly I did. I knew it would take more than just one night to try and convince her that my love for her still existed.

"You see, I don't think you do. You think you won half the battle because you finally made her talk to you. Truth is, you didn't. You caught her at a vulnerable moment. You think your Mr. Hero? Please. I've seen those same moments and some, for the past three years. You think you've won your not even close"