Chapter 20: A Horrid Surprise

"Ms. Price? Ms. Price?" my eyelids fluttered and I soon found myself looking up at the ceiling. I put my hand to my head. Feeling the coming of a headache.

"What happened?" I rose from the couch and let my feet touch the floor.

"Take it easy Emma" Cary warned. I saw that Rob sat next to me. His hand to my back, bracing me.

"You fainted" Liz told me. I closed my eyes tight. Feeling the head ache growing.

"My head" I said. My throat feeling dry.

"I think I have some Advil in the kitchen" Liz left us.

I looked up at the detectives. Agent Carter sat in the chair across from me and her partner stood.  Towering over me.

"We're going to need to ask you some questions. You were the one who knew him best" Agent Carter leaned forward.

"The girl just fainted" Cary defended. I was still slightly out of it. "Give her some time"

"No I understand" she said while standing. "But we'll need to schedule soon" I shook her hand Liz walked them to the door.

Once they left she came back to rejoin us in the living room. Taking a seat she handed me my pills.

"I can't believe this" Liz sighed.

The mood had now changed drastically. I was still trying to wrap my mind around it. Dead? Austin dead?

I popped the two Advil in my mouth and gulped down the water. The cool liquid soothing my throat.

"I think it's time to go home" Rob said. Rising from the couch and standing in front of me. Giving out his hands, I placed mine in them. He helped me to my feet and Cary grabbed my jacket.

"Feel better sweetie" Liz pulled me into her arms and hugged me tenderly. "We need to hangout again. Just us girls"

I was quiet. Feeling like the only one who was eternally freaking out. How could Austin be dead? Why? What happened? These were all questions I needed answers to and the only person to have them was Agent Carter. I made a mental note to call her in the morning.

***

"I still can't believe this" I said to Rob. We stood in the shower together. The fog from the hot water wrapping around us.

"Turn" he said. I spun so he could wash my back. I didn't want to go home, so Rob said I could spend the night at his place.

"I don't get who he could've pissed off enough. To make someone want him dead" I said. Opening up my hands and letting the water hit my palms.

"Turn" I spun again. This time facing him. He washed my front. Gliding my lathered wash cloth along my neck and chest area.

"Rob" I said slightly annoyed. He wasn't listening.

"What?" He continued to bathe me. Creating a slow rhythm that could put me to sleep.

"Are you not phased by this?" he showed no emotion.

He shrugged. "What do you want me to say Emma? That I'm sorry he's gone?"

"Well-"

"Cause that would be a lie" I looked at him. He kept up with the cloth, I grabbed his hand and he kept his eyes down. Messing with the soap on his finger.

"I know Austin was a screwed up guy but he didn't deserve to die Rob" I spoke sympathetically. I placed both hands on his biceps. I ran my soapy hands over his skin.

"In my eyes he did. I wanted him dead the minuet I found he took my sister. Heck, I wanted him dead the second I found out he hurt you" something snapped in him. Something that was unable to be repaired.