Chapter 17: Breathing Heavy

"Hey Emma" Joe walked over and sat on the edge of my desk. My goal was to open up more at work, which started off with me actually communicating again. 

"Hey Joe, what's up?" I asked. He shrugged nonchalantly and I learned he was only paying me a visit. 

Well shortly after the "visit" I got back to work. Proof reading Marks proposal to the Board of Directors, and making a few changes. Once I was finished, I took my revised copy to his office. 

"Hey Mark?" I tapped lightly on his office door. He was in the middle of a phone call, but waved me in. 

Shutting the door behind me, I took a seat in the chair across from his desk. 

"Okay" he said. Hanging up the phone. "What can I do for ya"

"I finished checking over our proposal" 

"Oh great" he clapped his hands together and stood. Walking around his desk and stopping in front of me. 

"Now, I made a few small changes..."

"Small changes?" he wrinkled his nose. Mark hated making mistakes, but most importantly, he hated people correcting him. 

I laughed at the mild insecurities for his work. I stood and opened the folder. 

"Yes, but just a few. Nothing major and I promise they make all the difference" he skimmed through the paper and I watched as his eyes touched every word. Somewhat. 

"This is really good Emma" he congratulated. I smiled in triumph. 

"Thank you" I turned to leave him to it. Walking toward the door, he stopped me. 

"Hey Emma, I and a few people from the office are going out for wings tonight. You wanna join?" I turned back around with a smile. 

"Can't, I'm spending the night with my...boyfriend" it felt weird saying the word out loud, but it's been a month now, so I had to get used to it. 

Boyfriend. 

***

When my shift ended that evening, I was beyond happy. Like usual, I powered down my computer and headed to the elevators. Once in the lobby, I caught full sight of him. He had his back facing me and his hands in his pockets. 

I leaned up against one of the marble pillars and stared at him. The light from the outside world wrapped around him. 

"Hey!" I called. My voice creating an echo. He turned around and smoothly and instantly smiled at me. 

"Hey you, your shift over?" he said as we walked toward each other. 

"Yep" he wrapped me up in his arms and hugged me tight, before kissing me on the forehead. 

"Okay well lets get this show on the road" he took my hand in his and walked us out to his car. 

*** 

A month ago, I would not have imagined myself being in the current situation that I was. Things seemed to have rushed together, but I was still so numb that I had no power to stop it. 

"More wine?" Taylor asked. I nodded and held out my glass for him to fill. 

We sat on his living room floor. Cushioned from the hard marble by pillows, ate Italian pasta, and sipped wine. All while a blazing fire kept time with our hearts. 

A jazz player crooned soulfully from the speakers that seemed to be everywhere  and the lights were dimmed low. 

It was a perfect setting and I tried really hard to enjoy it.