Chapter 19: Beautiful Monsters

It felt good to be home, though it no longer felt like home. Just simply a building with walls and a roof. I looked at everything in a whole new light now. I was like those people who have a near death experience and see the gates of heaven.

Cary said that I had become a zombie and Taylor had described me as distant. If I had been my normal self, I would have actually cared about their opinions. But I was different now and for that, I couldn't seem to care.

"You have to get out of the house" Cary urged me. I was reading the Notebook for the third time in a row.

"I don't want to" I said monotoned. Cary rolled his eyes. Taking a seat at the foot of my bed.

"There is nothing for you in here. Crammed up in our bedroom"

"There's nothing for me out there!" he was stunned by my sudden changed in voice and I quickly adjusted.

"Sorry" I rushed out. "I just don't feel like myself" I let my face fall in my hands. I felt Cary's weight shift on the bed, and he was now next to me. Pulling me into his arms.

"Your a great friend" I said. Grabbing onto his forearm. He kissed the top of my head.

"Sometimes baby girl" he began. "I'm your only friend" his words couldn't have been any more true.

***

"I told you I was fine over the phone" Taylor stood at my door, looking angry and also worried.

"You expect me to trust a phone call?" he pushed past with a huff and immediately his hands went to his hair. "Something's up with you Emma"

Thanks Captain Obvious.

I took a seat on the couch. Tucking my feet under my butt. Taylor paced the floor. His quick movements and bad attitude were starting to get on my nerves.

"Can you sit?" I snapped. "Please?" he paused mid-stride and looked at me.

"It's him isn't it?" I furrowed my brow at him.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. It's Rob isn't it?" he accused me. I could have sworn I felt my heart crush in two and burn to ashes in my stomach.

"I don't know what your talking about" it's true that those few seconds with Rob had caused gears to turn somewhere, but there was something else. Something strong that clung to me and changed me.

"Tell me right now Emma. How is it going to be?" I stood to my feet.

"Taylor just calm down, okay?

"Don't tell me to calm down Emma. Like I told you before, I will not  fight over you" I was beginning to panic inside. My entire body heated quickly and my palms began to sweat.

"You don't have to fight" I walked over to him and reached out for him, but he pulled away.

"Just tell me Emma" his voice was quieter but still fully stern. "Me or him?" I blinked at him.

"Don't Taylor" I whispered. I couldn't choose. I cared for Taylor yes, but I loved Rob too.

He walked up on me. Only inches from me and looked me deep into the eyes. An energy passed through us. Creating a force field that kept out opposing elements.

I sucked in a breath as his face lowered closer then he lips soon pressing to mine. Colliding out bodies together by pulling me close, he held tightly as if his life depended on it.

The kiss had left us both breathless and confused. I stared at him, knowing that it would be for the last time.

"I guess this is goodbye" he said. Kissing me again on the forehead and walking out the door.