Week One Story

PROMPT: You've got a second chance. To do what?

TITLE: Indians

RANK: 1

WEEK: 1

--

It was a few moments before sunset when I realized the opportunity for a second chance loomed before me. A second chance to prove myself worthy to be chief of the tribe.

I throw open the door to the banquet hall where my soon-to-be people sit eating their dinner from our weekly hunt, gorging themselves with deer meat and fresh wild berries. Their attention rests on me as soon as the wooden door slams against the wall. All eyes look in my direction.

"People of the tribe!" I bellow, my deep, authoritative voice booming. "I have decided I am worthy enough to become the new chief!"

Gasps and whispers fill the large room as a smug grin rests on my lips. The current chief stands shakily, the aged eyes on his wrinkled face resting on my youthful brown ones. I bow my head in respect.

"Bearclaw, you know what happened last time we tested you. Are you sure you are ready?"

The question is a no brainer. "Indeed. Bring on the test." I tuck the events of my last ceremony away. I will do it this time.

"He, the mighty young Bearclaw, seeks to become the chief! Spirits, show your approval!" The fire in the center of the forest roars to life and my fellow tribe members chant. I stand against a handmade target, gulping the fear down my throat. "Straight Arrow will be shooting his arrows at you. If he shoots all three and you do not flinch, you will become chief!"

I reassure myself that Straight Arrow will not hit me. Besides, he got his name from his excellent archery skills. My hands tremble furiously as Straight Arrow pulls back the arrow in his bow, licking his lips hungrily. I refuse to close my eyes. A mighty chief does not show fear. The tribe grows silent, only the low chanting and crackling of the blazing fire heard. The chief watches from an elevated wooden board.

Smack!

A cheer erupts from the tribe. I let out a breath in relief. The arrow sticks into the target directly above my head. The chief nods in approval.

I can do this.

ZWAP! The second arrow zips by my hand and lands between my fingers. My heart booms and bellows in my chest, but my brain is even louder. Thoughts swirl through my head. What if I become chief? What if I don't? Will I try again?

"The third and final arrow," chief says calmly. The chanting grows louder as the roaring orange fire grows taller. The full moon sits in the sky, reminding me of what I must do. I straighten my back and stand proudly against the target.

RIIIIP! The third arrow comes flying towards me. Gasps erupt through the forest as it seemingly heads straight for me. It gets closer, closer until I feel like I can touch it --

All I feel is pain as the arrow sticks out from my chest. My chest is stained with sticky red blood. My thoughts grow slower. My vision begins to go dark as I --

"Hey! That isn't fair!" I screech at Jonathan, who is standing before me with his Nerf archery bow. The arrow sticking to my chest falls to the pavement as the suction cup end gives up. "You said you weren't going to kill me!"

My classmates stand silent surrounding us, lowering their basketballs and jump ropes in annoyance. "Jonathan, every single time! We just wanna get on with the game, bro!" A voice calls out from the crowd. "Indians isn't very fun when you keep hitting Nathan with the dang arrow! You're supposed to be STRAIGHT ARROW!"

Bo, the twelve year old who got held back twice, nods in agreement. "I've been the chief for-ever," he whines, drawing out the word. We only elected him as chief because he was the oldest.

"Sorry!" Jonathan squeaks.

"Well, recess is over anyway. Maybe tomorrow you will get it right!" I yell in his direction. The crowd disperses as the bell rings. I walk away with my head held high as I exit the playground, though. Despite Jonathan's constant bad aim, I know I will one day be the chief in our infamous recess game, and that is all that matters.

--

Yoooo people. Finally, I found the time to post one of my eighth grade stories! I would post the tryout story but I seem to have lost it. I hope you all are having a fantastic writing season! It's districts time. Good luck to everyone!

By the way, I just realized I never posted my seventh grade state stories.. Weird. I'll get those up here too. I'll try tonight. See you!