Chapter 19

Dorien

I can't wait until next week! I will be home for a whole week with Zose and our families. We will be having the biggest Thanksgiving dinner ever! Even Rob and his family are coming. I'm really looking forward to the holiday this year.

During my musings, my phone rings and I answer without looking at who's on the other line. "Hello" I say. "Grey, I need you to go and pick up Ryan and Larry." My coach says. Crap, I'm out of excuses. If I had known it was him, I would have ignored the call. "Okay, Coach. Where are they?" He gives me an address and I reluctantly head out and pick them up.

I arrive at a rundown house that looks like its seen better days. I honk the horn and they saunter out and get into the car. "Thanks, man. We appreciate this." Ryan says. "Don't you have a really nice car?" I ask him, "Why do you need rides so much?"

"I never take my car anywhere. I can't afford the gas." He says. I give him a look. What's up with that? All of a sudden a puff of white smoke fills up the car. "What the hell?" I yell as I roll down the windows. "Sorry about that, I was playing with this bottle of baby powder and it kind of got loose all over the place." Larry says.

"What are you doing playing with baby powder?" I ask, rolling up the windows since the puff is gone. "I'm high. It seems like fun." He says. Fuck. I just need to get these two jerks home and then I can go about my way. I start coughing from that powder that he puffed out all over the place and pull into the convenience store that we come across. "I'm going in to get something to drink, do you all want anything?" I ask. "No. We're good." They say. I walk inside and get my drink, pay for it and come back to the car.

I take a few sips of my drink and I start to feel a little dizzy. I drop Larry and Ryan off and start to head back to my dorm. I'm trying to keep my eyes open, but seem to be having a problem. I'm about to pull over when I see police lights in my back window and pull over. I put the car in park and roll down my window. That's the last thing I remember.

I wake up in the police station. When I open my eyes, the person at the desk notices and calls the policeman on duty and he comes over and pulls me out of the cell that I'm in. He takes me to a room and asks me. "Have you drank anything tonight or ingested any drugs?"

"No. I went to pick up a couple of my teammates and after I dropped them off, I started to feel kind of dizzy. The last thing I remember was being pulled over and rolling down the window." I say. "What are the team mate's names?" The officer asks. "Ryan and Larry. I don't know their last names." I answer.

"Why did you go and pick them up?" He asks.

"My coach called and told me to go pick them up." I say.

"What school do you play football for?" He asks. "Indiana University." I say. He talks to me a little further and asks questions and I answer. Finally he tells me, "We are arresting you for reckless driving, driving under the influence and possession." What? "Why?" I say. "Because you were driving reckless when you were pulled over and you passed out. Also, we searched your car and found cocaine and marijuana in it. There were also traces of cocaine all over your car, in the seats on the floor and the windows. We also have a court order to give you a follicle drug test."

"I didn't take any drugs. I need to make a phone call." I tell them. "You can have it after we book you." The officer says right before he walks out of the room. He never even told me his name.

After I was processed, I was allowed my phone call. "Hello?" My dad answers with a question in his voice. "Dad, they got me. I'm in jail."