Chapter 9: K.I.N.G

Erica POV

I stood in the doorway of King's room with a proud look on my face. You could still smell traces of drying paint but at least I was finished.

I'd been getting it ready for a while now and it was finally done. I had already called and enrolled him in the school a few blocks from my place.

And my flight was booked to bring my baby home with me tomorrow. King had been with my mami since he was 4. After I bought my Miami house and set my mom up there she took King for me full time while I worked.

I never wanted King to experience half the shit I went through as a kid. I didn't have my mom for the first three years of my life. I was still dealing with some dark things that happened when she was away.

I didn't blame her for it at all, even though I know she blamed herself. That's why I think she was so adamant about helping me with King. To try and make up for things that happened to me while she was in prison.

It happened, and it happened to me. I couldn't blame her for that. Only person to blame was the sick bastard who stole my innocence.

I didn't want to think about it too much. I usually didn't think about it at all.

***************************************

I was at LAX by 5 AM, and by 12:30 I was landing at Miami National Airport. The time zones always made the flight seem longer. On top of being tired after staying up all night getting Kings room perfect, I was sure the jet lag was going to kick in soon.

Luckily Cyn had been my personal wake up call. She called around 4 my time to wake me up and she made sure to tell me everything was going to be alright.

She was always making sure I knew that King loved me and that no matter how much of a villain I was painted to be King only saw me as his mommy.

Thank god he didn't have my attitude though, King was the polar opposite of me. He was quiet, unless you started talking about anything that dealt with science. Then he'd talk your head off.

He was my chubby though. He was getting so tall like me that the nick name wasn't fitting too much anymore. But I didn't care, he was always gonna be my chubby.

I walk out the airport quickly throwing a pair of Chanel's over my eyes. I flag down a cab and slide into the back seat as he loads my bags.

"Little Havana" I say when he asks where to. I sit back in the cab closing my eyes trying to catch a little sleep.

I wake up a little before we pull up to the house. And after the driver helps me with my bags I'm rolling them up to the front door.

I fumble with my keys and unlock the front door. I enhale, I can smell my mom's cooking and it smells so good. She was always cooking, ever since I could remember she was cooking.

I close the front door behind me and drop my bags there. I don't say anything, I just follow my nose to the kitchen.

Of course like I'd guessed my mom was there cooking up a feast. I smile as I go in to high her from behind. "Mmmm Ma it's smells bomb in here. What you whippin' up?" I ask kissing her cheek.

She looks up surprised and a little frustrated. "Aye! Mija why didn't you tell me you landed!? I would've come to get to get you."

I go to the fridge grabbing a water and cracking it open. I took a sip before answering. "Ma it's fine I took a cab. Besides you looking pretty busy over there" I laugh.

She laughs with me as she continues to cook. "I'm almost finished here. Go up stairs and get cleaned up. King will be home any minute."

"Okay Ma. I'll be back down in a second" I say to her as I quickly grab my bags and take them to up to the guest bedroom.

I change clothes and text Cyn a little. She's freezing her ass off up in New York and of course I was enjoying this beach weather.

Cyn iMessage: I'm really loosing color up here with all this snow. I'm jealous...

Mena iMessage: I bet.  I'll just be sipping Pinã Colada's on the beach in my bikini while you bundle up in 4 or 5 coats.

Cyn iMessage: 🖕🏼* middle finger emoji*

I laugh my ass off at how cold she probably was. I hear the front door open before I can reply and I hear footsteps running in.

"Nana!? Is she here!?" I hear him ask as I walk out the room and stand at the top of the stairs.

My baby was excited to see me too. That made me feel loved.

I creep down the steps and run up behind him once he reaches the kitchen. "Of course I'm here baby!" I squeal as he flings his arms around my neck and hugs me tight.

"Mommy! I really really missed you he says squeezing the hell out of my neck. I cough as if he's choking me playfully and I grab my throat.

"I missed you more chubby" I kisses his cheeks and stand back and look at him.

He was so handsome. I liked to think he looked like me even though no one else saw it.

He was only 8 and already catching my height. I kiss the top of his head and hug him.

"So what's the first thing you wanna do Papi? Anything you want." I say moving my hands for emphasis.

He looks up at me with his thinking face. "Ummmm....a dog!" He says proudly.

I wasn't aware that a dog was an activity but apparently we were getting a dog because I did say anything he wanted right.

"How about we get you cleaned up for dinner first and then we can take care of this dog business?" I ask and he looks as if he's thinking agains. This boy was a trip.

"Uhhh okay!" He agrees.

I laugh at him kissing the top of his forehead one more time before he runs upstairs to get cleaned up before dinner.

I guess this wasn't going to be as hard as I thought it would.