Friday Night | Lexie

"What happened Lexie? You are kinda quiet today." I turned my head and gained focus as I concentrated on the concerned look on Ashley's face.

I blinked a few times, pulling myself together, repeating the words she have just said to me in my mind, so I could reply back to her.

As I did that, a slow smile appeared on my face. I turned to her and said, "Am I not always?"

Ashley laughed, "You are, but today you seemed to be lost in your own thoughts, as if the reason behind that silence is not that you have no interest in voicing your opinion, but that you have something on your mind, something that is bothering you. So, what is it?"

"Wow Ash, you are awfully observant today, or has that trait always been there? Somehow escaping my notice?" I asked, with a hint of tease, trying to make light of the situation.

She didn't hesitate before turning the conversation.

"What can I say, I am a mystery to be solved." Ashley winked at me.

But she wasn't about to let me go that easily.

"Seriously Lexie, you know I am here if you need to confide in someone. I am your friend, and I have one more trait you don't know about; I am good at keeping secrets." Ashley said, her sincere eyes told me she meant every word, even if they hold a glint of mischief.

"I know Ashley. I know. I would if I found the need to." I said.

She nodded her head, and turned her attention back to the two girls sitting across from us.

I turned my head and looked out the window. The coffee shop we were at was tucked away in a place where it radiated a sense of home, yet wasn't concealed enough to be missed by a passerby.

I could see the world walking out on the street, people from different ranging in age, ethnicity, religion, country, culture. It was like I could sit here my whole life and never get tired of looking, observing, learning.

The snow was falling leisurely, covering everything it was falling on; concealing secrets, drowning whispers, hiding flaws, burying memories, and the world walked upon them, unaware and ignorant of everything that was beneath them. Supposedly beneath them. Because no matter how much the truth is denied, nobody could ignore that the veil was falling from above, for the world to see.

Just how the truth of the events that played themselves this morning would be concealed. Another sin, of yet another man.

I used to see something in his eyes, something akin to human, similar to hurt, a hurt that ran deep, clouding his eyes, eyes that shadowed me at times. I turned out to be wrong yet again.

Another misjudged character.

But maybe it is not my fault. Because can a person no longer trust another person? Has the world come to this pitiful state? That the benefit of doubt if given, would be thrown back at your face?

Maybe that is the reason why I didn't let her slap him. Or maybe my disappointment was so deep that a mere slap wouldn't have given me enough satisfaction and I would've joined her in beating him up.

I should've let her slap him anyway. Even some satisfaction would've been better then nothing. But maybe a part of me was still hoping that what I was wrong, that it wouldn't have been what it seem like, because I was tired of being wrong about everyone and everything.