Chapter 14

When I was young, about only ten summers old, I had a small, frost-white lamb by the name of Mistletoe. I loved Mistletoe, she meant the world to me and I remember all the things we used to do together. We used to run through the forest on summer days, we used to chase each other about the fields, catching butterflies and tripping over, we used to be found curled up together by the fire on cold winter nights as I read to her, I think she enjoyed that most of all. Mistletoe meant the world to me, she was my best friend and I watched her as she grew up. No one really understood our friendship and classed it as "unhealthy", but I did not care, nothing could replace our friendship.

I remember waking up one morning, wondering what the day would bring Mistletoe and I. I glanced down at her mat where she slept every night; to my horror I found that the mat was empty. I sprung out of bed, where was she? Mistletoe never left her bed before I got up, what had happened? Where had she gone?

I sprinted down the hall into the kitchen, searching desperately for the missing lamb. Tears poured down my cheeks and I found I was hyperventilating, but I didn't care, where was Mistletoe? I found that the front door was wide open and there were a few muddy tracks leading down the path, those tracks I knew belonged to Mistletoe. I cried out and slumped into a chair by the table, Mother's concerned face peeped around the door.

"Everything ok, my dear?" she asked, a slight crease had appeared between her brows. I flew myself from the chair and flung my arms around her waist, crying out childishly.

"S-She's gone, Mummy, she's gone!" I cried frantically, tears poured from my eyes.

"Who's gone?"

"M-Mistletoe, She's gone, c-couldn't find her!" I wailed as I pointed at the muddy tracks that led outside. I remember how upset I had felt at the time and how understanding my Mother was, she had received quite a lot of criticism about letting her child spend all her time with a farm animal, but she knew how much the lamb meant to me and did not disappoint me. She knelt down beside me and put her hand firmly on my shoulder, she did not show any sign of weakness at all, that is probably why I admired her so much.

"We are going to go out, right now and look for her," she explained determinedly, "and we will find her." She wiped the tears from my cheek; "You've got yourself into a state, but stay strong Lily, if you have faith, everything will be alright." I sniffed and nodded, I wanted to be as brave as I could. I had just lost my closest friend, but there was still hope, after all she may have just gone out for a bit of fresh air.

I remember how long we spent searching for Mistletoe, I was extremely upset, but I did not let my feelings get the better of me. We searched all over the Shire, in the forest, in the town; I even remember asking nearly every resident if they had seen her at all. There was no success until we had nearly given up all hope; even my own mother who I thought could never be defeated seemed weary. I remember slowly dragging myself along the forest path, my heart had sunken somewhere near my toes and all hope was gone. A loud yell was heard coming from the direction of the farm, suddenly a fresh feeling of hope filled me and I sprinted in the direction of the call.

I came to the fence of Maggot's field; there stood Pippin pointing out into the centre of the paddock, it was him who called. I ran over to him eagerly and asked him if he had found Mistletoe. He nodded and pointed out to a large flock of sheep that was nearest us. Relief flowed through me; there she was, right in the centre of the group, my Mistletoe.