Chapter 3

I quickly grab my bag, fix myself up a bit, and I leave the school. 

I soon as I get outside I pause for a second, then I start sprinting to the woods. It felt amazing to be able to run, to feel the wind on my face, to have freedom. When I reached the woods, I looked around and took a deep breath. 

It felt phenomenal.

 I have never felt this way before, I feel...free, I feel open, I feel happy for the first time since my mother died. I have never felt something so exhilarating and most importantly, it made me forget about everything. 

I refreshed my mind and took in my surroundings. The pine trees, birds chirping, the soft dirt underneath my feet. I felt all my anger slip away and I was happy. 

For a few moments I stayed like that, then all of a sudden out of nowhere, I felt all my anger rush back and I punched the nearest tree. 

I felt some of my anger leave and when I looked at the tree, I laughed. I put a small hole in it. Suddenly I felt like I was being watched. I look around, but I don't see anything and I don't hear anything either.

 I move on and I start rummaging through my bag to see if I have any food. 

I seriously start feeling uncomfortable and I concentrate on the woods, looking for the slightest movement or sound. A drop of rain breaks my focus and it starts pouring. I put my hood on and start towards my house, thinking about whether or not my father is still passed out. 

Suddenly, I hear a howl, and it gets closer and closer every second. 

By now, I'm freaking out so much because I don't know where the howl is even coming from. It just gets closer, and closer. The howling stops and I'm relieved, and I'm about to run home. 

I come to an abrupt stop when I see a wolf with a pitch black fur coat, and the same piercing yellow eyes I saw last night. I'm absolutely terrified of it. 

The wolf looks, almost curious. 

I admire how beautiful it is and for a few minutes, we just stare at each other. Then, a clap of thunder breaks its gaze, and without looking back, it sprints off into the trees. I stand there confused for a second, then I realize how much time I've wasted.

6:38 p.m! 

I'm dead if my father is awake right now, and if he isn't, he'll sure as hell wake up when I come in, then I'll get the beating of my life for being out so late. 

I run as fast as I can to my house, but I stop right at the edge of the woods. Should I take my chances and run away, live a new life, get rid of him forever? I quickly make up my mind and turn the opposite direction of my house.

I see a store nearby and I go inside, and there are a fair amount of people there but as soon as I take a few steps inside, I see my father standing in front of me with a wicked smile.