Mornings Are So Hard

I've always considered myself to be a reserved person. I thought all of that would change when I moved to college. I'm not exactly sure where I saw the correlation between college and a whole new personality for myself, but it was the one reason why I was excited for summer break to be over. This meant that I could officially start packing for my new independent life, and what once seemed so far away that I would have sworn it was a dream had finally become a reality.

However, I didn't feel as optimistic when the alarm clock went off this morning to alert me of the long day of packing and moving that awaited me. Regardless of my reluctance to wake up, I slowly began to pry my eyes open and let the bright Indiana sunlight in. In a little less than fourteen hours I would be moving into my new apartment in Seattle. I still couldn't believe that this was actually happening. A full ride scholarship to my dream college. I guess all those years of being ignored in high school finally paid off.

"Syd, you need to get your butt out of bed!! This is the last warning! Next time I'm coming up there with a water gun! Don't make me be the bad guy!" I heard my mom yelling from downstairs.

I heaved a sigh and swung my legs out of bed while reaching blindly for my big glasses on the bedside table. I was blind as a bat without them, and I would have no shot at looking presentable if I couldn't see anything.

When I finally had the gumption to drag myself downstairs for breakfast I could smell the food already cooking. I was determined to make my last day here with my mom a good one.

"Hey, Mom! You're cooking my favorite? You shouldn't have really. I was just going to make a few pit stops on the ride up there."

"Don't be silly. What's a morning in the Water's house without a tofurkey omelette?" My mom asked with a slight giggle. I was going to miss her so much, but I wasn't one to show my emotions so she would never know that.

I quickly ate my breakfast and ran back upstairs to take my shower. When I got out I tied my long brown hair up in the sloppiest bun you've ever seen, and slipped on my Nirvana shirt and skinny jeans. I decided to take my time with my makeup, and after several failed attempts to line my light brown eyes in eyeliner I took all my makeup off and decided to go without. It shouldn't make a difference, I was just going out with my friends later today. Friends can't judge you for your face looking like a monster without makeup on.

I was pretty much done getting ready for the day. I ran back downstairs and called out to my mom that I would be back later. Opening the door I let the hot air of an Indiana summer hit me, and I tried to remember the sensation. I know it won't be like this where I'm going. Breathing in the fresh air I let a genuine smile reach my face.