The Impossible Friendship

Coffeeshops seem like very chill places, let me break that myth. It's only laid back when you're a customer.When you're working it's like trying to walk through Hell on stilts. I had about six customer's orders memorized in my head, and I just kept reciting them over and over. I wasn't cut out for customer service, and Brandon just threw me right into work without much preparation especially at the busiest time of day when everyone was getting out of classes. 

"Syd, you've got a line building up. Get a move on!" I heard Brandon shout as he moved across the room to the supply closet. Why was I the only one working the counter right now?

"Um, I ordered my drinks like 6 minutes ago and they still aren't done." I heard a rude older man say from the middle of the line. 

"Sorry! I'm getting right on it. If I could just figure out how to make something other than black coffee."  I muttered under my breath. I must have looked clearly flustered because I saw a manicured hand reach beside me, pull out the coffee beans, and start grinding the espresso. When I turned around to thank the person I was stunned.

It was Allison Scott. What the actual fuck. I feel like I am missing something here, and she must have read the expression on my face clearly.

"I work here too. I was just a little late getting out of my exam today. Brandon didn't tell you?" She said with curiosity and just a tinge of offense taken to her voice. 

"Uh, no. I don't believe that he did." I replied back stiffly. It was a weird relationship that I had with Allison because there was a lot of dislike and tension between us, but neither of us addressed why that was the case. 

" No surprise." She muttered under her breath, and it wasn't in an angry tone. It was in a tone that let me know she was hurt. Well, that makes two of us. 

We progressed to working in an uncomfortable silence for the next four hours or so. The only times we talked or even acknowledged one another was when she was helping me learn the ropes a bit and I was grateful for that. I feel that tonight we bonded over our mutual hurt feelings that Brandon created. At the end of the day, I can't blame her for not being warm towards me. I think she feels the same way. 

The crowd had dwindled down, and it was almost closing time. I hadn't seen Brandon in quite a while because he is constantly running all around the place (he's a busy worker, I'll give him that). I was taking my apron off and securing my bun when I heard Allison chuckle. 

"I had fun tonight oddly enough. I don't know if you know this, but I've kind of had a bit of a chip on my shoulder when it comes to you." She said with an exasperated sigh. Instantly the guilt chamber in my mind went wide open. She had every right to feel that way, but I do want to turn it around. 

"Did you really? Why is that? Because you had to pick up all the slack for me tonight?" I said in a friendly, joking manner.

"No. Because I think Brandon has a weird crush thing on you, and I pretty much was insanely jealous about it. Which isn't right because he isn't even in an actual relationship with me, but you know how it is." She said back honestly making solid eye contact with me. In that moment I decided that I wanted to befriend her, and to befriend her I needed to solidify the line between friendship and something more with Brandon. 

"A weird crush thing, huh? How's that work?" I asked with a smirk. I was going to make it my effort to reassure her because I don't want to be involved in this messy triangle anymore. 

"He just seems drawn to you. You're both very artistic, independent individuals...that's just the kind of person he's always been attracted to." She said knowingly with a look in her eyes that indicated a more involved past than I was aware of. 

"Girl, trust and believe, he does not see me that way. I'm pretty much like his annoying little sister. He's made that perfectly clear." I said back in a voice that was meant to be comforting. 

"Yeah. Trust and believe me on this one, he can be a very convincing actor. Either way, I'm glad we had a chance to hash things out tonight." She said with an endearing and inviting smile. 

"Yeah, I am too. Guess I have a new work buddy." I put my hand  out for a fist bump, and she rolled her eyes but eventually gave in. 

Brandon popped in from the backdoor, and eyed us with a suspicious look in his eyes. I did need to talk to him alone later to see why he didn't let me know ahead of time that his "girlfriend" would be working with me. I made a long eye contact with him that let him know that we needed to talk, and then when I finally got the message across. I grabbed my bag and made my way home from my first day of work. I had no idea what happened today as it all felt like a whirlwind of impossibilities. Allison and I are friends? Brandon is interested in me? I need answers, but I am too scared to pry because I know it could destroy two new friendships that were quickly becoming important to me. 

One thing I know is that something has shifted in my life. I just don't know if that's for better or for worse.