The Witch (Chapter 15)

Natalia’s Flashback:

I fought back the impulse to lower my head to shadow it and hide it from everyone. Thankfully I overpowered the urge and held my head high and twirled my way into the centre of the garden. I was going to show these people that I knew what I was doing.

I gracefully held my hands out to others teasing them knowing that even I would’ve tried to hold the hand if it was placed in front of me. Right when they would go to reach my hand, it didn’t take very long, I pull it away and give them a dazzling smile which left them breathless. This was the happiest day of my life and they all knew it, they all smiled back at me knowingly, each knowing that I’d take my hand away but still giving happy to be a part of my dance. The moon was shining in the sky and I could tell that my hair was shining in the beautiful moon light filtering through the canopy of trees in our garden. Everyone was filled with such mystic beauty it left me in awe. I stopped giving my hand out and started to do graceful leaps and twirls; my mother looked at me and nodded – the signal for me to enter the centre.

I done graceful bow and half walked, half skipped to the middle unable to contain my excitement. My mother sent me small smile and silently scolded me, for a couple of seconds I was down-hearted until my mother broke out in a huge grin silently laughing at my error. Now it was my turn to scold and she shook her head amused and stepped to the side from the entrance where I had only just came out of a couple of seconds ago.

I cocked my head to the side thinking who else was supposed to arrive. I went around in a complete circle till I saw that grandma was nowhere in sight and as if right on cue she walked in with so much grace it was unnatural for a woman of her age. She was wearing a long dress which wasn’t very showy but suited her perfectly and also matched the colours I was wearing. She was clutching her cane with her all knowing hands and as her eyes searched the garden her face scrunched into a ball showing even more of her untold wrinkles which hardly ever showed unless she was going through some strong emotions. This time the emotion was confusion, but once her wise, aged eyes met mine her face transformed from an old confused woman to a caring grandmother happy for her grandchild.

I knew right then that she wanted to hug me and envelop me into her arms but it would have to wait as our duties would have to come first. She slowly walked towards me and gave me a gentle smile. Mum walked towards her and they joined hands. They gave each other a smile and they motioned for me to step out of the centre. I moved to the edge where nobody was sitting, I was on the outskirts of the forest by our house and was just under one of the outstanding branches. I heard a branch snap behind me and my head whipped around, only to be met by the darkness of the woods. Once I was satisfied that no one was there I turned back around and was met by the most horrific scream.

“HELP ME!!! THEY’RE HERE!!! THEY’VE FOUND US!!! HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!!”

The cries were suddenly cut off by a gruesome crunch of bones against metal and then, hell broke loose. People started running in all directions, turning over seats and benches. Some people who tripped up over their own feet found it extremely difficult to get back up again. Men in black came out of nowhere and blocked our exits as if we were cattle and it was time for us to be taken to the slaughter house. We were surrounded and they were slowly nearing, getting closer and closer with every step they took. The village were too stunned to fight back but my grandma and mum found their senses quickly and started to attack with their magic. They sent out balls of flame as they were the easiest to use to destroy things and people, especially if it was controlled perfectly and if it was at the right temperature. Controlling fire could be very dangerous but when it was under the control of my mum and grandma I was more than happy to trust them with it. Our houses erupted in flames and that got people going. The entire village pulled together to ward off these men, but it seemed as if nothing worked. Men and women were being killed left and right, they screams of pain blocked out by the new screams of the people still alive avenging the dead men and women.