31

"Us?!" Newt exclaimed in surprise. He reacted immediately and pulled out the gun from his pocket. He aimed it at the lady.

"NO!" Skylar jumped blocking His target. The thought of Gally killing Chuck caused her to react as such.

"Is this an ambush?!" He asked without lossing his aim. "Are you with the wave of cranks?!" His finger entangled the trigger.

"Newt!" Skylar took a step forward. "Let her talk first! Don't you just pull out the gun and threaten her life like that! And don't kill her. She's the last thing that you'll see Chuck in."

His eyes were still hard. She took a brief breath and spoke again. "Don't give in. Remember how Chuck died." I could get in trouble for this. She took back her words and wondered why did she ever said those. It was suppose to get his conscience but it got mine first.

Newt lowered his arm and placed the gun back to his pocket. "It's atleast what I can do for Chuckie."

"Alright, Now talk." Roselle's voice was barely heard. The shrieks got louder. And it seems to be getting closer.

Chuck's mother turned towards Skylar. "What I meant us is cranks okay?" Then shifted her glance at Newt. Addressing her point. Then back at her.

"These cranks kill and devour anything and anyone that moves and breathes. I'm not like those. My level of insanity is measured by sorrow." She said it like it's a fact. "Now listen you need to trust me on this"

Her eyes landed on Skylar's pocket. "You have the bliss?"

Panic rushed through Skylar. But she wondered why there was not a single hint of desperation on her tone. It was just a plain question.

She looked over Newt waiting for him to react. But all she got was a plain stare. I guess I need to trust this woman.

"Yeah. But I don't have much left."

"If you want to live." The lady began."We'll have to use one of them as a bait."

She took one from her pocket and hand it over. "So what's the plan?" Her voice barely heard.

"We don't have much time okay?" The lady raised her voice for the three of them to hear. "Listen carefully. I want you all to get up that tree. As high as you could as I hold this and drive them away-"

"Wait. So does that mean that you're goin' to..." Newt cut her off. "I could atleast use this bloody gun to scare 'em."

"You're not serious right?" Skylar asked in surprise. There has to be another way. I can't let his mother die. We all can't. Chuck still has his last request.

The lady took a deep breath and gently held on Skylar's shoulder. "Once these guys heard about the bliss, no gunshot or monster or any force could stop them. And I already had enough of this world. The reason why I'm living is now gone." She switch her glance back to Newt. "Thank you for taking care of my son. This is what atleast I could do for you and your friends."

She took the thing that she was carving and opened Newt's palm. "If you ever saw your friend Tommy again, I want to bury this along with Chuck's."

Newt's eyes were widen. His emotions are indescribable. It was either sad or confused or guilty. He seems to be grasping for answers. "I don't know if I cou-" But then their eyes met.

"I will." He nodded. Then he squeezed the figure on his hand and kept it safe inside his pocket.

"Alright!" He faced Roselle and Skylar. "We're doin' what she says. Let's go now!"