31 [TW?]

Chris

"Chrissy, why are you staring at Mommy?" Paris tugged on my pants leg, tilting her head to the side curiously.

I blinked myself back into reality and blushed, biting my lip to try and counter that burning sensation. We were at the park and I was watching the three of them play in the sandbox, I decided to sit this one out so I didn't mess up my shoes. "I dunno, baby girl. She's very pretty."

Charlie and Isaiah were just out of earshot, so they didn't hear me. Either that, or they weren't paying attention. Paris decided to play by me and tell me a story about a princess who lived in her castle–which was really just a pile of sand with a leaf on top to signify a flag.

"Am I pretty?" She asked without looking at me; she smashed her sand castle and started over altogether.

"You are much prettier than your mommy," I chuckled, saying it loud enough for Charlie and Isaiah to hear.

Paris giggled shyly, blushing heavily as she turned her eyes down to her sand.

"What did you say?" Charlie called from the other side of the sandbox, squinting her eyes from the sun.

I cheesed, "Nothing, dear!" Paris and I snickered under our breaths. I tossed Paris a wink and she stuck her tongue out at me before focussing back on her sandy empire. "It's our little secret, baby girl."

"Daddy doesn't think I'm pretty," she mumbled sadly, her face dropping a little bit.

"Sure he does," I encouraged. "Your dad is just weird."

She shook her head, "Nuh-uh! Daddy's mean to me." She stopped playing and shook her hands to rid herself of the excess sand. "He pushed me down one time because I was hitting him because he was being mean to Mommy. And then Mommy took me and my dinner into my room. But then Daddy came in and he asked if he could tuck me into my bed but I didn't answer him. And then he got mad and left."

"Is that the first time he's hurt you?" Charlie didn't tell me about this when it happened. And by how explicit her details were, I knew it had to be somewhat recent.

She nodded.

"He won't hurt you again, baby girl," I assured her and she nodded once again. Her eyes turned a greenish color in the sunlight rays as she smiled at me.

"Can we go on the swings?"

***

Charlie and I pushed our kids on the swings for an hour before they got bored. "Uncle Chris, Charlie, can we go on the playground now?"

Charlie and I exchanged a look before we both nodded, helping the both of them off the green, plastic swings. "Aye, watch out for her, aight?"

He nodded obediently, took her hand, and they ran off towards the bright yellow jungle gym, leaving the two of us to stare at the empty swings. "Sit down, I'm gonna push you," Charlie murmured, nudging me forward to sit.

I, um, am not the best at swinging.

I took a seat and looked back at her giggling, "My ass is too big for this, babe."

"Oh, come on," she insisted playfully, "Just kick your legs."

I raised my eyebrow at her, growing kinda nervous; I ain't wanna embarrass myself in front of her. When I was younger, I wasn't the best at it; I would look at the other kids as they flew high and did flips off theirs, but my scrawny ass ain't go nowhere.

"Kick my legs how?" I asked.

Shit.

"You don't know how to swing?" I peeped over at the kids who were trying to do the monkey bars. "I'll show you." She took her place on the swing beside me and made sure I was watching as she walked backwards, and straightened her legs to shoot herself forward. When she went forward her legs remained straight. But when she went backward, she folded her legs so they led her body where she needed to go to gain speed and altitude.