46

Charlie

I was experiencing the same symptoms as my first pregnancy with Paris—or lack there of. Honestly, I sometimes forgot I was pregnant because I never gained any weight, my feet never swelled up, I never felt sick—except that one time. My obstetrician actually laughed at me when I brought it up to her at my check-up. She insisted that it was nothing to worry about.

I just thought it was weird.

I was actually losing some weight since I became pregnant, which was super weird to me.

I had made up my mind that I would enjoy being pregnant. This was my child, no matter who the father was.

"Mommy!" Paris giggled as I tickled her on the couch. "Mommy, please!"

"Okay, okay," I laughed, giving her mercy. "I just had to. We haven't had a tickle fight in forever, huh?"

She smiled before climbing into my lap. "Nuh uh, it's been a long time, Mommy!" She squished my cheeks in her little hands and kissed my lips. "New baby tickle too?"

Paris was ecstatic about the new baby, probably more excited than I was.

I nodded, holding her sides. "Yes, the new baby will love having tickle fights with you. You're gonna be a good big sister, right?"

"The bestest!" We both laughed and I tickled her again, having her squeals echo throughout the house.

"And it's still our little secret, okay?" I held my pinky finger out for her to loop hers around. I made her promise not to tell anyone about the new baby because I know how little kids have big mouths. Nothing is a secret with them. Which is why I haven't had her around Chris as much because I knew she would blab about it.

Speaking of the devil. He and I were... friends. For now, anyway. I hadn't seen him as much but he promised me that he had cut down on the drinking. The mobility in his arm was improving so he was back to painting. Often times, he would send me pictures of his artwork to see I liked it enough for him to sell at an art show.

I was still his cheerleader and I would always be.

It was like we were best friends all over again and I was fine with that. Best friends was a great place to start if we were ever going to get back to how we used to be.

Truth be told, I did want to get back with him. Just not yet. I was gonna make him work for it.

"I'm not telling anyone!" She wrapped her pinky around mine and tossed her arms around my neck excitedly, giggling in my ear. "Can we read Baby a story?"

I nodded while setting her down to the floor, "Of course. Go pick one out." I watched her jog into the bedroom and I stood to my feet to go into the kitchen. Sam was at work, so that left me and Paris to spend the day together. I was having so much fun with just me and her and she was enjoying it just as much. I grabbed a bag of popcorn and fixed it up in the microwave as I waited.

A text from Chris showed on my phone, asking me if he could call me tonight. I was playing very hard to get with him, so I simply replied that I might be working.

I hadn't told him that I got fired a few days ago.

My shift-leader called me into his office and discussed some things with me. Something about getting complaints for my bruises and such showing through my makeup. "It's frightening the customers away," was how he put it.

You wanna know how else was in the office with us? Chris' dad.

The light-bright motherfucker fired me. My shift-leader was controlled by Chris' dad, Mr. Anthony. I only thought his job was to handle finances with the district stores or whatever, turns out he has a hand in hiring and firing anyone at any time.