32

Chris

Charlie and I showed all the signs of a couple. The holding hands, the kisses, the flirting, cuddling, the little pet names. And of course, the best aspect of it all, the sex.

Now, don't think I'm a nigga who only cares about fucking my girl–yeah she was already mine. The sex was dope, but that wasn't all I cared about. Hell, the girl was beautiful and incredible. And her sex is good, so it's like a win-win-win.

The thing is... we didn't have titles. And I knew it'd be a while until we exchanged titles. Boyfriend and girlfriend seemed like a while away for many reasons. The obvious reason being her divorce. I sure as hell was not gonna force her into a relationship with me, especially not when she was fresh out of a divorce. That wouldn't be fair for either of us. I knew her well enough to know that she'd go through a period of depression before she got herself together and I didn't mind that. Anything to make sure she was okay physically, mentally, and emotionally. I honestly had all the time in the world.

Of course, ya nigga ain't have the slightest clue as to actually asking her to be my girlfriend. I wanted to do something real fucking special for her because let's face it, the girl was special. She needed the finer things in life, and I was going to make that happen as best I could.

I was thinking a nice dinner at the fanciest restaurant in the city. Even better than the Sun Dial. I needed something bigger, better. More expensive and luxurious.

But I ain't have a clue.

I've never really gotten this far with a girl. Any girl. Besides in high school, but back then I just asked her, "Yo, you tryna be my girl?" But that seemed way too cocky and arrogant–the complete opposite of Charlie. She was more sophisticated and classy for me to pull that bullshit. I needed to step my game up, big time.

But that didn't matter right now; I had a long time before that step and I was okay with waiting. I guess now was the time to spoil her so she knew what she would be getting into when she said yes. If she said yes...

Lately, things have been going great. We were always together, and sometimes at night. We had a long talk about the proposition I made that one day, and we both made it clear that it wouldn't be fair to Paris. Baby girl was our main priority at the moment, and so was Isaiah. They were both going through shitty times and they needed our comfort more than anything.

I would just have to wait.

It was April seventh, nine o'clock in the morning. Sam and I were up early with Charlie for her court date. She was scared and shaking the whole morning, and we were there to comfort her. Paris didn't know what was going on, but she sensed her mom's uneasiness and fed off of that.

Sam rode in the passenger side, and Charlie and Paris took up the back seat of my car. As I drove, I kept taking glances at the both of them. Charlie was biting her lip nervously.

It was 8:45 when I parked and the sky was clear and blue, but it was still chilly from the sun not warming up the earth yet. I turned the music down and we sat in silence before Charlie made moves to get out–we followed her lead.

Her lawyer was already waiting for us, but she advised us that we couldn't go in with them. Charlie didn't like that and turned a little pale. So Sam and I pulled her to the side.

"Guys, I can't do this alone," she said desperately. "I need someone in there with me."

"Hey, look at me," I cooed, lifting her chin. Her eyes were red and already moist, so I kissed her like a boyfriend should kiss his girlfriend when she was nervous. "You can do this, baby."