59 pt 1

Charlie

The next few days went by in a blur and quite honestly I don't even remember much of what happened. I was so tired all throughout the day, but I still had to get my ass up and go to work.

Yes, you heard that right. I got another job. I was now the secretary at the spa that Sam worked at. She put in a good word for me and I ended up being hired at nine bucks an hour. Not so bad. I was grateful.

Sam had her money on me having a boy and Bash was betting on a girl. Diesel insisted on me having twins.

God no.

"Guys, I need you to pick up your toys before Grandma and Grandpa come over."

My mother, Dakota, Chris' mom and her husband were coming over for dinner so we could tell them about the baby. Needless to say, Chris and I were extremely nervous. It was no secret that they didn't get along but a new baby could make things worse between them. I didn't want anything to deter our happiness; I knew Anthony would do everything he could to upset Chris simply because he could never get rid of me.

Our doctor's appointment that morning went great and my due date was around late April or early May of next year. It's funny because this baby could very well be a birthday present for Chris.

"Guys, I said pick up your toys." They weren't listening to me.

"Aye, you guys heard her. Pick up the damn toys," Chris said a little more sternly, bringing up an armload of toys from the living room. "You guys ain't listenin' today."

"We wanna play!"

He dropped the toys in the toy bin and shrugged. "Aight and you can do that but don't leave the shit on the floor. She asked you to pick up the toys and you guys didn't do that. So no dessert for either of you today."

Paris' eyes shot up in protest. "But–"

"Nah, Paris," Chris cut her off sharply. "You heard what I said. Now clean up this mess, aight?" She nodded somberly and stopped what she was doing so she could put some toys away; Isaiah wordlessly did the same.

"You good?" His eyes drifted over to me to make sure I was okay. "You tired? You can go lay down or–"

"Chris, I'm fine," I said. "But you have to relax with the language, okay? They're just kids."

"Yeah but they need to start listenin'. Especially Isaiah. He's been actin' weird since we told him about the baby."

"Maybe he's jealous, Chris," I mumbled with a sigh. "He probably thinks it should be his actual mom having a little sister or brother for him and not me. I think he feels out of place."

He shrugged. "It ain't like he'll talk to me so I don't know what to do." His face turned solemn with guilt.

"Babe," I breathed. I turned to stand in front of him and put his hands around my back so I could rub his shoulders. "Relax. Things will be fine at dinner."

"Nah, not with the nigga comin'," he sighed against my forehead. "I know he's gonna try some slick shit. You sure you don't wanna just postpone it for a few more days?"

I kissed his chin and shook my head. "We'll be fine." My stomach let out a low grumble with hunger. "See? Baby said to calm down."

He chuckled. "Aight, aight, baby. I'm good."

***

"Babe," Chris called, looking up from his phone briefly. "You think Bash and Sam could come over? The nigga burned their dinner."

"I mean, we have more than enough for everyone so I guess that's cool."

He burst out in laughter. "Tell me how this nigga ended up burning some fuckin' ramen noodles."