Chapter 17: Put This Back Together Before I Lose My Mind

I hated being back in Summerton. But I loved it too. Emit and Justin are going to leave tomorrow. The news said there is a chance of a tropical storm. That kinda worries me.

I'm running around the house trying to get ready for work when my phone rings.
"Hello?" I pet the phone on my ear as it looked in the fridge for breakfast.
"Hey Brin."
"Hey Cara."
"I am your mom."
"I'm just not ready to call you that yet." I closed the fridge and Finn was at the dinner table feeding Junior some apple sauce.
"Who's that?" He asks.
"We'll start because I'm so happy to have you back in my life."
"No one." I told Finn.
"I'm just not ready. The boys don't even know that much." I put my jacket on one handed and peeled my banana.
"I think I should come visit."
"No!"
"What do you mean no?" I looked at Junior.
"There's just one thing."
"What?"
"Im- we just aren't ready to tell you. It's still new to us." Finn walked over and leaned on the couch.
"What is it Brin? You're scaring me."
"Bye." I kissed Finn's cheek.
"Wait."
"Not you, Finn." I left the apartment and started down the stairs.
"Finn is there?!" She asks.
"I just left. I'm already late for work."
"I was thinking for Christmas maybe we could get together."
"I'm spending Christmas with Emit and I don't think that's the best time."
"Why."
"We don't know you. We are still trying to trust you." She signed.
"How are you and your dad."
"I haven't talked to him since I got back."
"I don't want you to loose that connection you have with him." I walked into the lobby.
"Morning."
"Morning, Jack." I pushed the door opened with my back.
"What about thanksgiving?"
"That's better."
"So my house or yours?"
"Slow down. I don't even have a house."
"Let me buy you one."
"Cara."
"Yes?"
"Slow down. We just met for the second time."
"Right, I'm sorry, I'm just so happy."
"You're late." Grayson says.
"I got to go."
"Bye, love you."
"Love you too mom." I hung up before she could go on and on about using the word "mom".
"Who's mom?" Grayson asked.
"That's none of your business." I couldn't stand that I had to work with him. If I had it my way Emit and I would just run away together. Forever. I missed mommy. And I missed the real Juliet. Not this shit that Grayson runs.
"Why were you late?" He asks me as I opened a register.
"I was downtown getting laid." I lied.
"That's real funny." He wiped down a table.
"Brin." Sarah took me into the back.
"What?" I asked.
"You know he's renaming the place?"
"Shouldn't you be the one to inherit it?"
"I own half."
"So why don't you stop him?"
"I can't."
"Ugh." I took some cookies and cupcakes out to the display cases.
"We're closing at 3 because of the weather." Grayson says. I completely ignored him.
"I miss her." Sarah says.
"Me too." I put my arms around her and hugged her.
"No tears."
"No tears." She shook her head. The bell for the front door rang throughout the store.
"Morning Justin." Sarah says.
"Hey." He walked to the register.
"What can I get you?"
"Let's see." He inspected the menu.
"The Brin cupcake looks good." I gulped. That was the cupcake Grayson invented and named after me.
"That all?"
"Yeah."
"$2.16." I say. He hands me the exact change.
"Thank you." I handed him the cupcake.
"I'll be home around 4. You can go to the apartment if you want." I point out.
"Ok I'll see you soon." He left the shop. I turned around and Grayson was in my way.
"Excuse me." I said moving.
"I never wanted to hurt you." I stopped in my tracks.
"It's too late now." He took my hand.
"I just can't." I pulled my hand away from his. For some reason, that felt wrong.

  I was sobbing in my room on lunch break.
"Brin?" Kendall knocked on my door.
"I'm fine." I wiped what u could before he opened the door.
"What's the matter?" He sat in my bed next to me.
"I really loved him. I really did."
"Look, I know we gave him so much Shit but really, I thought he was the coolest guy ever."
"Really?"
"Yeah."
"His you hurt him?" I asked.
"He got a nice long talk."
"About?"
"How much my sister means to be." I rested my head in his shoulder.
"You are my top priority. Always have been, always will be." He poked my nose with his finger which made me kinda smile.
"You are so special Brin, I don't want you to ever be hurt."
"I miss him so much."
"He screwed up really bad and I get that but if you miss him so much, why aren't you trying to get him back?"

  My toes were in the sand. I felt the grit against the sole of my feet like sand paper. The breeze smelled of sunscreen and tanning oil. I walked along the coast line with the sun beating down on my body. I watched the waves beat against each other and the sun rays reflect off the ocean. I remember building sand castles with my dad and brothers. I remember cold water gliding up your leg, making you shiver. Those were the days when we felt like a family the most. I watched the waves again get bigger and bigger. Then the winds started picking up and I noticed the absents of people around. There was a man down the shore line, a couple families and me. That was it. When one wave in particular crashed again me the lifeguard called it.
"Out of the water!" He yelled.
"Out of the water!" Again and again he repeated himself. I noticed the man was Grayson and I noticed this was the tropical storm that was about to hit.
"Seek shelter now!" The lifeguard announced. I looked at around. My feet still planted in the gritty sand. Wind kept getting stronger and stronger. Waves were getting bigger and bigger.
"Brinlynn run!" Grayson called from down the shoreline. I picked up speed faster then Lightning McQueen.
"Grayson!" I yelled. I was beyond scared, I was petrified.
"Run!" He yelled in a stern voice. I started to cry. He was busy helping a family pick up their things. I started to run to him.
"Run B! Run!" He kept yelling at me.
"I'm not leaving without you."
"Get your ass moving now!" He said right to my face. I gave a hurt look and started to run. He was so far behind. I felt a wave barge against my leg but I was no where near the water anymore.
"Seek shelter!" Grayson yelled. I kept looking back wondering if he was going to make it home tonight and wondering if I was going to be able to hold him in my arms.