Chapter 8

"Hey Lou, what are we going to do about your heat?" Harry asked as they were eating their midday snack in Louis' classroom for the second time that week. It was quite interesting how things were working out between them, Harry would take off of work on occasion, though it wasn't often, and Louis would do the same just so they could spend some time together. Sometimes Harry would stay and help out with Louis' class and sometimes Louis would go into work with Harry and talk to some of the staff that was nice to him.

"What do you mean?" 

"That was a fairly simple question, don't you think? What was confusing?" 

"What does my heat have to do with you?" Louis asked defensively as he bit harshly into his sandwich that Harry bought from the hospital cafeteria on the way over. 

"Okay, well, looks like I've got my answer," Harry said as he got up to throw his trash away. 

"Well I'm still very confused so that makes one of us," Louis said, trying to finish his food. He wasn't actually feeling very hungry now, he was full and queasy, but he didn't want Harry to be disappointed or think that he didn't appreciate the food that Harry brought. He did appreciate it, he really did, he just wasn't someone who ate a lot of food anymore after his previous kid. 

Harry nodded and handed Louis a water bottle from his bag. He was immediately handed the bottle back followed by Louis asking him to open it for him. He really should've seen that coming, though. Louis always handed bottles and jars and packages to open. He'd done that ever since Harry had known him. 

"Alright, are you ready to go? Can you watch all of little ones by yourself?" 

"I always do," Louis sighed and rolled his eyes. 

"Okay, thanks. I'll be back at yours tonight at the normal time and we can talk more about your upcoming heat." 

|-/

"You said you wanted to speak to me. Liam and Niall are out with the kids. They'll be back later, so start talking," Louis said as he placed their salads on the table. They were just plain old salads with grilled corn, chicken, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, and ranch, but they looked and smelled absolutely delicious. 

"Yeah, I want to be there for your next heat," Harry said, getting straight to the point. 

"And why would this be, Mr. Styles?" Louis asked as he rolled his eyes. 

"Does it actually need explaining, Louis? You're my ex-boyfriend and ex-mate and it's my instinct to help you.  You're obviously going to be the one person that I'd like to help through their heat. It goes against everything my body tells me to do when I know and can tell that you're in heat, because even now I know." 

"Well, I can't help that."

"Well, no, you can, you don't want to."

"And I'm allowed to not want to, whether you like it or not, Mr. Alpha Macho Man," Louis said as he put a piece of chicken into his mouth. 

"I didn't say that you weren't. Hey, I'm done, so I'm going to wash up my dishes and I've got to head out and get a few things. I'll be right back though, unless you'd like me to go back to mine," Harry said as he wiped his mouth and got ready to get up. 

"I don't care where you go. If you want to go back to your place, then that's your choice. If you want to come back here, then that's fine. The door will be unlocked until 22:45, no earlier and no later. Be back by then and I'll let you in," Louis said and picked his cup up to drink. 

Harry nodded, "Got it, I won't be back later than that. There's no doubt in my mind that you won't still shoot anyone that comes near the house that's uninvited, so I'll be back before you lock the doors. How do you plan to spend your heat, since you won't let me help you through it?" 

"Toys, I decided that I would stop relying on alphas to help get me through it after a breakdown I had last year," Louis shrugged, "I've gotten through it multiple times with just toys so it doesn't matter anyway. I've got to get new batteries soon.... Actually, since you're going to the store, can you get me some new batteries?" 

"Sure, I guess," Harry nodded, "What type?" 

"AA and AAA are the two types I need. I've got a few different toys that need different batteries."

"Are we really talking about this while we're at the dinner table?"

"We are, but you're leaving soon anyway. Oh, and when I am in heat, do you have a plan for what you're going to do?" Louis asked and Harry simply shook his head, causing Louis to roll his eyes. He could've guessed that Harry wouldn't have a plan. 

"I'll be back later and we can talk more when we're going to bed," Harry said and nodded as though that was the answer Louis would take from him. 

"Don't be back later than the time I gave you, get the AA and AAA batteries, wash your dishes, throw the napkin in the hamper, and if I'm asleep when you're back, make sure to lock the doors and don't wake me up. I will have to kill you if you do that. Do you understand all of that?" Louis asked. Harry nodded and left the room. Louis heard the water running for a good 5 minutes before he heard the front door open and close, the lock clicking into place afterwards. He couldn't help but be endeared and concerned for Harry's sanity when he heard the lock clicking. Now Harry wouldn't be able to get in, but the locking of the door made it seem as though Harry still worried and cared about Louis. 

|-/

"We're back!" Liam said as he walked into the kitchen. 

"You're missing kids and a weird grown up kid," Louis pointed out. 

Liam nodded, "The wee little tots are going to bed now. As for the man-child, I don't know where he went. He's probably in his room. How did your dinner with Harry go?" 

"We talked about my heat. Then he left."

"He left?" 

"Went to the store, he'll supposedly be back before the doors lock. By the way, they're locking later than normal, so if you're leaving before 22:45 I think is when I told him, then don't worry about the alarm," Louis said as he dried the bowl and put it back in its place in the cabinet to the left to the sink. 

"So are you going to let him help you through it?" Liam asked to which Louis shook his head before shrugging his shoulders. He honestly didn't know, but being put on the spot like that by Harry made him say no on instinct, which is why he turned him down in the way he did. 

{I feel like I should add more, but meh.}