Chapter 1

Chapter 1

    I stared at him wide eyed, my heart racing in my chest. He had mesmerising and mysterious purple eyes yet they bore down on me in a scary life-threatening way. His black hair, soaked in sweat, flopped down on his forehead, almost touching his eyes. He took in deep slow breaths, all the while never breaking eye contact. He wore clothes that were not of this world. They were way too fancy and seemed as if they were from some fantasy. But his clothes weren’t the craziest thing. No, the craziest thing was that…HE CAME THROUGH THE FRIGGIN’ MIRROR!!!

     We both sat on the floor staring at each other in silence for what seemed like eternity. I must be dreaming. I must be dreaming… I couldn’t even find my voice let alone think of the proper question to ask. What does one ask a person that came through their mirror in the dead of the night anyways?  Who are you and what are you doing here? How did you do that? What are you? Or how bout, hey that was a really cool trick, mind showing me how it’s done?

    As I thought of what to say, he stayed there, unmoving. But when I finally opened my mouth to say something, he disappeared in a swirl of blue lights that was sucked back into the mirror and all that was left in his place was a plain-looking white book…

•••

I woke up on my bed, the rays of sun seeping in through the spaces in between my curtains. So it was a dream…A very realistic dream…So real that I could still see his eyes staring at me…A cold sweat trickled down the side of my face and my heart beat echoed in my ears. Why was I getting so anxious? It was just a weird dream right? Moreover, practically nothing happened in that dream.

I sat up and clutched my hands to my chest and stared into space only for a quick second till a white object peering from under my pillow caught my eye. Fear gurgled up inside me as I reached for it. My eyes grew wide when I pulled out the plain white notebook. So it was real?...But that made no sense at all!

“Leah! Hurry down for breakfast if not you’ll be late for school!” my mom shouted from the kitchen. Without thinking, I shoved the book in my sling bag, changed clothes, washed my face, brushed my teeth and bolted out of my room, all the while screaming in my head that none of it was real.

I gobbled down breakfast and hurried to school although it was way too early. I was counting on the school being empty. I needed to sort out my thoughts and an empty classroom was the perfect place to do it.

Relief washed over me when I opened the door to an empty classroom. I risked a glance at the clock above the whiteboard. 7:25…About half an hour, probably less, before people started coming in. I quickly sat down on the nearest chair and placed the book on the table. It was the size of a normal A5 notebook with a hard plain white cover. It was rather thick like a journal and when I flipped through the pages, they were all completely blank…

“Cool book, where’d you get it?”

I practically jumped out of my skin! I closed the book and kept it in my bag.

“What? Not sharing?”

“What do you want Ashton?” I said with an exasperated sigh. Ashton was without a doubt the most annoyingly persistent admirer I’d ever had. I stared at him with raised eyebrows.

“Ouch, cold today aren’t we darling?”

“I’m not your darling and I told you to stop calling me that didn’t I?”