Chapter 11

Chapter 11

 I tried to feign innocence by laughing nonchalantly.

“If I’m Arianna then who’s the other Arianna?” I joked.

“Answer the question Leah.”

I was running out of confidence and I was sure that it was obvious, from the look on my face, that I was scared and lying.

“Erick what’s gotten into you?”

My voice was breaking and I was almost trembling. I had to get out of this situation. I didn’t want him to hate me…I couldn’t let him find out!

“Erick what resemblance do I have with Arianna anyways?” I laughed.

“Everything! You’re more like the old Arianna than the current Arianna is!”

Ok…Bad move.

“You’re delusional Erick.”

“Why are you avoiding the question?”

“I’m not! I’m trying to make you see how crazy you sound right now!”

“Alright then say it. Say you’re not Arianna!”

I bit the insides of my cheeks to fight back the tears. Why was he pushing the question on?! Why didn’t he just drop it already?!

“Do you want to think that lowly of Arianna?! I’ve been on Earth all this time Erick! If I was Arianna that would mean that your precious princess is a chicken that abandoned her people in their time of need just so she could save herself!”

The tears that I had been fighting all that time came running down my cheeks all at once. No! Now he knows that I am Arianna!

Erick unhanded me and looked away.

“You’re right. I apologise for upsetting you. I have to go meet the King and Queen now. I can’t have them waiting any longer. I’ll send for the chamber maid to fetch you. Come for dinner once you’re ready.”

“Erick-“ I began but it was too late. I watched his back as he disappeared into the castle. I dropped to the ground and cried. He hates me…Why had I even done that?!...I’m so foolish…It would’ve been better if I had left things alone.

✖✖✖

I don’t know how long I stayed on the ground sobbing but by the time the chamber maid had found me, my legs were numb. She apologised profusely but ignored all my attempts of comforting her and telling her that it was fine. So I gave up trying and just silently followed behind her till we reached the room.

Conscerion, who was on the bed, jumped off it and trotted over to me.

“Leah, I was so worried. Are you alright?” he asked as I picked him up.

I simply smiled and nodded. Suddenly, fatigue washed over me. I felt all tired and groggy but I wasn’t sure why. I figured that it might be due to crying out in the cold or maybe even walking around the gigantic castle so I dismissed it carelessly. But I was so exhausted and it felt as if I was fighting to keep my eyes open.

“Leah? What wrong you’re swaying!” Conscerion cried.

Suddenly my legs caved in on me and I hit the floor with a thud. The corners of the room turned black and the darkness slowly grew and eventually engulfed the entire room. I could still hear the lady and Conscerion calling out my name but they seemed to get further and further away till everything was silent.

When I opened my eyes again, I found myself tucked in bed, probably in the same room as I had been in before. But it was so dark that I couldn’t be too sure. I fumbled on the side table to turn on the light. It took a while but when I finally found the switch of the table lamp, I pulled it and let a beautiful soft yellow light fill most of the room.