Chapter XIX

*1 week later* 

Bambii's P.O.V

"Mommy, I'm ready", Laya yelled out, running into my room and plopping down on my bed.

"Ok baby, give mommy one minute and I'll be ready", I yelled back out. I finished straightening my hair and unplugged the flat irons. I combed it out and quickly swifted some hair to the other side, running my fingers through my scalp.

It took a while for me to finally fit my bottom into my jeans, but I eventually got them around my waist. I pulled my top over my head and grabbed my shoes off the counter. I sat down on the tub to strap them on. I looked at myself in the mirror, checking off everything.

I took one look at the hideous and dark covered bruise beside my belly button. I cringed just thinking of how it'd gotten there in the first place. I grabbed my make-up bag and dug for the concealer and foundation inside of it. I found one that matched my skin tone and covered the mark up, making it unnoticeable.

I slid my phone into my purse, ignoring the incoming phone call. I walked out, seeing Laya fully dresses. "I see you dressed yourself".

"Mhmm", she nodded, playfully giggling. "You like it mommy. It's the sweater auntie Tori bought for me?"

I smiled down at her. "I love it", I say as I kneel down and kiss her forehead. She kisses my cheek back.

"Ready to go kiddo", I asked as I grabbed her backpack. "No, I don't like school".

I laughed and grabbed her hand, helping her off of the bed. We walked out into the hallway and into the living room where I helped her put her shoes on. "You ate you're breakfast right?" She nodded her head as I zipped up the zipper on her shoe.

I pulled the backpack onto her back and she slid her arm through the straps. "Mommy, when is daddy coming back", she asked randomly. I sighed, "Baby, I wish I knew". "Are you guys mad at me?" She hung her head low and fiddled with her fingers. I felt my heart break.

"No baby, we could never be mad at you", I say as I caress her cheek. She looks up at me and stares into my eyes. "Laya, sometimes, when mommy and daddy fight, it'll make them sad. And they might not want to talk with each other for a while. But we still love you and that will never change. Your father loves you so much, you're his world Laya."

A tear slid down my cheek and I kissed her nose. She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly. I sniffled and smiled as she rubbed my back. I felt so weak crying in front of her. I didn't want her to know what happened between me and her dad, but Laya's a very smart girl for her age and it isn't hard for her to figure it out and know what's going on. I tried to protect her from it.

"Come on", I say as I grab her hand and head out of the apartment. I locked the door with my key and we caught the elevator down. The bell rung and we exited. Laya waved at the door man as I greeted him. We walked out into the warm cool air and searched for my car. It was hidden by large trucks and vans, but we found it.

I helped her into her car seat and strapped her in. I got into the drivers side and started the car up, buckling my seat belt. I backed out of the parking space I was parked in, careful not to scratch up the trucks beside me. One had spikes on the tires, which scared me. I paid good money for my car, so I wouldn't risk getting it messed up.

In about twenty to thirty minutes, I arrived at Laya's school. She smiled widely as she spotted her friends sitting on a nearby bench, waiting for the school doors to open.

"Mommy look", she screams. "What baby?" "It's daddy! He's here!"

My heart dropped into my stomach. My hands gripped the steering wheel until my knuckles nearly turned white. By the time I could get myself together, Laya was already unbuckling herself and running out of the car. My heartbeat raced fast and my breathing was caught deep in my throat. I'd been avoiding him for as long as possible, or at least I tried to. But there he was, in the flesh, stood the devil himself.

"Laya, wait", I yelled, unbuckling my seat belt and chasing after her. I stopped dead in my tracks, seeing him turn to me. I looked at him, but with more fear than anything. I forced my legs to move. And just stepping onto the sidewalk and walking up to him, I could sense the negative energy between us. The aroma around us was filled with conflict that had yet to be resolved.

And quite frankly, I don't think it ever will.

"Larry, what're you doing here?" "I thought I'd just come and see her before school". "You didn't think to call", I rolled my eyes. His jaw clenched. "No. I'm her dad, I should be able to come and see her whenever I feel like it."

Laya looked between the both of us, and just when she was about to speak, the school bell rung. "Bye mommy, bye daddy", she says as Larry places her down to her feet. She lays a kiss to the side of my lips. He kisses all over her face before she takes off towards the school's double door, where her friends were waiting for her.

I looked away, not wanting to see him at the moment. He grabs my chin and forces his lips onto mine. I didn't kiss back, which only angered him. "Get off of me", I scoffed as I push his chest. I was prepared to walk away, until he snatched me back, gripping my wrists.

I breathed hard as I looked into his now dark eyes. "Don't walk away from me". "Larry, let go of me, now", I said sternly, trying to remain calm. "Or what?"

We stayed silent. Not one of us uttered a word. Fear silenced my mouth. And every emotion there was to have ran through my body.

"So you think you can just ignore me, huh?" N-no", I stuttered, feeling his grip tighten. "You lyin to me?"  "Larry-", I stopped my sentence, feeling him grab my jaw and forcing us to be closer in each other's eye sight.

"You know you can't hide from me baby".

I sniffled, "Please don't do this here", I whispered. He chuckled. "You right. I won't do it here".

With that, he let go of my jaw, walking away. I felt like he had threatened me. I was scared. If he wasn't going to do it hear, then where?

My body trembled as I made my way to my car. Off to work, even though my concentration won't be anywhere near what will be going on there.

~*~

*2 hours later*

Bambii put her hands over her face as she cried silently on the bed. Her tears made spots on the pillow beneath her. She felt the bed beside her dip and she cried harder.

She felt his wet, hot lips press kisses down her neck, shoulder, and back. She didn't dare to move. At the moment, she couldn't if she tried.

She slightly opened her eyes. She curled up into a ball, but winced at the pain her thighs held. He turned her around and crawled in between her weak legs.

"Come here, I'm not done with you".

Starring at herself in the mirror, she didn't like the person starring back at her. Her reflection was scarred with bruises. One on her neck, one on her arm, one on her chest, another beneath her belly button, and many on her legs.

But Bambii had to realize that this wasn't just a reflection... it was her.

She allowed this to happen. She let him do it.

I can't do this anymore, she thought to herself. I have to get me and Laya away from him.