Chapter 14 - The Tree

Not edited

"What the actual hell Ellis?" He stood at the doorway making small steps in my direction. My heart felt as if it was about to escape from my chest out of fear. "What are you doing in here?" He growled at me in a low tone with eyes as dark as the night.

"I-I-" I struggled to get the words out not knowing what excuse I should use. He wasn't near as patient as I needed him to be in this moment.

He cut me off yelling, "You what?"

I immediately went on the defense not finding comfort in being yelled at, "Well, for someone who knows everything about me they sure as hell aren't proving it!"

He stopped dead in his tracks confused at my words. He tilted his head to the side asking in a small, but defensive voice, "What?"

"Where's my bookshelf?!" I yelled at the top of my lungs actually utterly confused as to why I didn't have a bookshelf. I've been bored as hell here and my favorite past time is reading. He sure as hell didn't seem to know me as well I he said he did.

"What?"

"I love reading! Where the hell is my bookshelf?! I've never seen you fucking read so why do you have a bookshelf?!"

He walked closer to me on the defense realizing that my response didn't exactly answer his question. "That doesn't explain why you're in here."

"I was bored." I shrugged looked straight up at him showing no fear, but I was terrified.

"Mind explaining the correlation?" He mushed harder most likely smelling the fear on my body. He towered above me and stared down with the power of hell in his eyes. He marched into my room anytime he felt like it I couldn't understand his anger in this moment. What did he have to hide that I couldn't of already known about?

"I wanted to see if you had any books. I was bored. That's the correlation." I answered his question calmly as he succeeded in intimidating me.

He nodded his head walking over to the bookshelf looking at his books seeming to be searching for a certain one. He yanked one out of the bookshelf and shoving it at my chest growling, "You should like this one." He walked out of the room clearly angered by something, but I didn't understand.

Sure he had a few letters, but nothing crazy. Everything I'd read was nothing I would've put past him. He was an untamable monster with the powers of all the good and evil the world could offer. I wondered what held him back from doing even worse to me.

It was an angering realization that Zayn wasn't the worse person I'd ever met. At least there were times where he proved that he cared; my parents were in many ways worse than he was. And I loved them. So how could I not love him?

"Ellis! Where the hell is my breakfast?" My dad screamed from the kitchen as his voice echoed throughout the entire house causing my anxiety to run wild.

I immediately ran downstairs frantically apologetically attending to him, "I'm sorry I-I-"

I was cut off by a stinging in my check. His inner rage was often taken out on me, and this moment was no different. "Shut up, Ellis! I'm tired of your excuses!"

He picked me up slamming my body down on the island. He unbuttoned my pants sliding them down to my ankles. I screamed begging him to stop hoping someone would hear me and help. My mother sat at the table drinking her coffee ignoring my cries for help.