10. Failure

*Hayley's POV*

A bright light shone on my face as I felt a slight breeze brush against my skin. I rolled over, trying to feel around, looking for Luke for warmth.

Nothing.

I open my eyes, sitting up and looking around to see if he was sitting on my bean bag in the corner.

Nothing.

Where was he? Did he just leave?

Of course he left you. I thought I already told you that no one wants you.

Oh shut up. I pulled the covers off of me and started looking around the room. The window was open, and Luke's shoes were next to my bed. I stood up and started making my way down the stairs.

I made my way to the kitchen, checking if Luke was there. Nope.

I checked the living room. Nope.

"Hey hun, you looking for something?"

I turned around, facing my mom, who was standing at the bottom of the stairs. "Oh, it's nothing."

"I met one of your friends earlier today. He seemed polite. How'd he get into the house? I ran into him while he was leaving earlier this morning," she explained, walking to the kitchen.

"Oh, um, who? Luke?" I asked, a nervous tone to my voice.

"Yeah. He also left you this note," she replied, handing me a small yellow paper.

"So, how'd he get into the house?" She asked again, with a stern voice.

"Oh, h-he climbed in through my window," I said, looking down.

"Oh, does he like you?"

I ignored her and started reading the note.

Hey Hayley! So srry that I couldn't stay to see you wake up :-( I had to meet up with Ash and the rest of the guys because they're mad that I didn't show for the gig. Oh and I talked to your mom, I think she likes me? She's kind of confusing.

Anyways, I really have to go now :-( have a good day :-) smile 4 me

I smiled as I read the note carefully, taking in all of the letters and the words.

"I think he likes you," my mom said, giggling.

"No, mom, he doesn't like me," I said playfully shoving her shoulder.

"The only guy you've ever had over is Dylan! And you've only known Luke for what, 1 week?" She smiled.

"A week and a half," I corrected.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Don't blame me if I tell you "I told you so" in a month from now," she said, patting my back and grabbing the bacon from the fridge. "By the way, do you want bacon or pancakes today?"

"Pancakes," I replied, my stomach growling.

Thirty minutes later, I finished my pancakes and was now walking back upstairs.

My phone vibrated. I checked to see what it was, and it was a text from Michael.

Michael - hey wanna come over? were all here

Me - sure let me get ready

Michael - k

I start by putting on some distressed jean shorts and a loose white crop top, followed by tying a red flannel around my waist. Then, I apply light makeup and pull my hair into a bun.

I start walking back down the stairs. "Mom, I'm going to a friend's house!"

"Alright honey, try to come home by 10!" I hear her call back from the living room.

"Okay!" I grab my keys and start walking to Michael's house. I take in all of my surroundings, the bright sun hitting my face. I breathe in the air, the wind blowing through my hair.

As I was walking, I saw someone with curly dirty blonde hair standing by a stoplight. Walking closer, I realize that it's Ashton.

What's he doing here?

I walk faster, wondering why he's out here if Michael said that they're all at his house.

Once I'm close enough, I reach out and tap his shoulder. "Hey, Ashton I thought you were-"

The tall figure turns around, and I realize that it's not Ashton.

----------

*Luke's POV*

"When is Hayley getting here?" I asked, grabbing another slice of pizza.

"I don't know, it's been about an hour since I texted her," Michael replied, taking out his phone and looking through his texts.

"Should we check by her house?" Ashton suggested, looking out the window.

"She's probably just still getting ready, girls take a really long time to get ready," Calum said, shrugging his shoulders.

"No, I know Hayley, she doesn't take this long to get ready," I said, frantically getting up and looking out the window.

Police cars are driving by, and ambulance sirens are going off. "That's it, I have to go check on her."

I rush out of Michael's door, ignoring their yells and protests. I start running down the street, in the direction that the police cars were headed. The world seems blurry as I run, but I run faster. My heartbeat is going faster than my legs are, and it's feeling as though the world is closing in on me. It's hard to breathe, it's hard to think.

I keep running, hearing more sirens and seeing more police lights. The flashing is almost intimidating, but I follow it.

I run faster, my need to find Hayley growing stronger. My urge to protect her grows stronger. My want to hold her in my arms and tell her that it'll be okay grows stronger.

My chest is tight, as if there's something closing in on my lungs. It's getting harder to breathe and I'm panting like a dog.

Faster, before it's too late. You don't want the same thing to happen again.

The horrid thought almost makes me trip. There are a million thoughts going through my mind, almost at the same speed that my legs are going. I push the dark thought out of my head, and continue running.

You're going to fail. You're going to fail another thing that you care about.

I feel a lump in my throat, and my eyes start to get watery. No. I won't fail. She'll be okay. She'll be okay. I know she will. I'll make it.

Tears are now streaming down my face as I approach the next stoplight.

Is this real? No. It can't be.

Ten police cars and an ambulance are surrounding around a stoplight, and I see a large crowd gathering in the center. I walk closer, my breathing getting heavier. As I get to the crowd, I freeze at what I see.

I failed.

I'm a failure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOAH THAT'S A LOT TO TAKE IN.

Sorry if this chapter's kinda shit, I tried

And yes, I am aware that my chapters are a lot shorter than they used to be, I just don't have any creativity for anything lmao

anyways, hope you liked it! :)