21. Long Time No See.

*Hayley's POV*

Luke left right after we talked. It was now Tuesday morning, two days after what happened. We all had started Christmas break, so we didn't have to go to school today.

He was right. We started over. He hasn't asked me to be his girlfriend, but I'm glad he hasn't. I don't know if I'm ready to accept that offer from him after what happened.

Our relationship isn't completely back to the way it was, but it's getting there. It's not as comfortable to sit in complete silence with him, but it's not awkward either.

Even though Luke and I's relationship has been getting better, Ashton completely stopped talking to us. I haven't even seen him at school.

I'm not sure if he still talks to Michael or Calum, but I don't think he does.

I've seen him around in town, but that was only once or twice. And right as he saw me, he turned his head to look somewhere else. He's also been hanging out with Emily a lot more.

Luke told me all about Emily. All about his and her past. I'm glad that he's being honest now, because that's a significant part in a relationship.

"Honey?" My mom calls from outside my door.

"Yes, mom?"

"I need to talk to you, please come out here," she says.

"Okay, one sec," I reply before getting out of bed and walking towards the door.

I open the door to reveal my mom, who doesn't look too happy.

"Hey mom, what's wrong?" I ask, concerned.

"I'm so sorry sweetie, but I'm going to be having another business trip back to Liverpool. I have to be meeting with really important people. They said I can't take anyone with me because it'll be a confidential trip," she explains, looking at me in the eye.

"But it's almost Christmas, mom. Do you have to go?" I ask, immediately upset that the only family I have in Sydney won't be here to spend one of my favorite holidays with me.

"I know, I'm so sorry honey. It's mandatory. I have no choice," she looks down.

"Why did they choose to have it during Christmas? Can't they move it?"

"No, they can't. It's an urgent meeting that they need me for."

"Okay, I guess I'll be fine. If I was able to do it before I can stay home for longer," I sigh.

"No, it's different this time. I have to be there for a month. Because it's so long and I don't want to leave you completely alone for a whole month, I talked to Anne. She said that you can stay with her. I'm leaving in three hours, so get packed," she says before walking away.

"Wait, what? I'm staying with Ashton?" I say frantically, walking in the direction that she went in.

"Yeah. I've actually gotten really close to his mother, and I've heard you and him are pretty close friends. Ashton has a sister so you can talk to her if you really need to talk to a girl," she says as she turns back around and walks to me.

"Mom, can't I just stay with Luke or something? I talk to him more than Ashton."

"Hayley, I know you guys are dating and everything, but that's one of the reasons I didn't go talk to his mother to see if you could stay there. I don't want you doing anything inappropriate with him," She places her hand on my shoulder before gently rubbing.

"But mom, I can't stay with Ashton. And plus, we're not even dating anymore. If you can't let me stay with Luke, then can I stay with Calum or Michael?" I ask, desperately needing to change who I'm staying with. I can't stay with Ashton for a whole month.