Prologue

The entire student body of Arcadia's Knight Academy had amassed within the central courtyard.

Caspian gazed at the myriad of faces. He saw some people that he knew and many more that he didn't know. While the academy wasn't very large, housing, at most, 100 to 150 students at any given time, that was still 150 more students than Caspian associated with.

"Wow! There are so many people here!"

... Make that 149 students that he never associated with.

"I'm surprised all of us can fit in this little courtyard."

Caspian ignored Christo as he stared at the gathered crowd. The courtyard they stood in was the largest one within the academy. Located at the very heart of the academy itself, it was shaped like an oval and spanned nearly 50 meters in length and 30 in width. A colonnade surrounded the courtyard. Beautifully decorated corinthian columns wound around it at even intervals of precisely one meter. Caspian had learned from his history lessons that these courtyards, this one and all of the others, had been created by Talia el Terrancestaur, a sorceress who'd died during the war in which humanity eradicated the goblins centuries back.

The instructors were also present. From his position, Caspian could make out a number of instructors that he knew, including Instructor Murdok, the hardass weapons instructor who hated his guts.

It had only been a month since Caspian had returned from Ashtown. Life had returned to a semblance of normality, and yet, life had also taken a drastic turn. The number of rumors being spread about him had gone up; people didn't even bother whispering when they talked poorly of him in the halls. Malcontent for him seemed to have increased since he'd been gone.

Caspian had learned from Christo that Julius was the source of these rumors. According to his roommate, Julius and his friends had told everyone that he'd only been allowed to attend the academy because he was Sylvia de Floresca's manwhore. Apparently, someone had learned that Sylvia was the one who'd allowed him entrance into the academy, and they'd made sure that everybody else knew it, too.

What else is new?

Caspian did his best to ignore the glares and rumors. It wasn't like this hadn't happened before. Every time the headmaster sent him out on a mission, he'd come back to discover that the other student's hatred of him had risen dramatically. Everyone would eventually go back to ignoring his existence, with a few exceptions like Julius, who antagonized him for reasons he couldn't fully understand. He'd only have to put up with this for a few more days—a week at most—then the status quo would return.

It still hurts...

"Hey, Caspian," Christo interrupted his musings.

"What?"

"You okay? You were making a really funny face for a second there."

"I'm fine."

Christo didn't look convinced, but he didn't get the chance to say anything else, for at that moment, Headmaster Stretello appeared on the balcony overlooking the courtyard.

Every student looked up at him. Even Caspian had to admit that the old man cut an impressive figure, standing up there in his military-esque uniform, his muscles bulging like someone who'd spent his entire life swinging around claymores single-handed.

"Thank you all for coming out here so quickly," the Headmaster began, instantly quelling any and all conversations. "I know that you are all very busy and would like to get back to your studies."

Sarcasm. There was a hint of it in his voice, along with a healthy dose of reprieve. Several students had the decency to look abashed. They were likely the ones that the headmaster was talking about.

Serves them right. Do they not realize how hard being a sorceress's Knight is? This isn't a game.

Caspian raised a hand to his face and stared at it, seeing the blood that it was now stained with, visible even though it was no longer present. Being the Knight for a sorceress was anything but a game. He'd learned that lesson the hard way.

"Because I know you're all busy, I will get straight to the point," Headmaster Stretello continued. "Exactly two months from this Monday, Arcadia's Knight Academy will play host to the sorceress's Knight Tournament."

Caspian felt a jolt travel through his body, going from his spine all the way down to his feet.

The tournament. Could this mean...

The crowd broke into speculative whispers. It was only after the headmaster held up a hand for silence that everyone ceased muttering.

"Only those who are at least eighteen years of age may participate," the headmaster's voice pierced through Caspian's thoughts like Odin's spear parting the heavens. Several students groaned, but the old man ignored them. "To those of you who are planning to enter, I will warn you now, this tournament will test more than just your ability to fight. It will test your cunning, your courage, your intelligence, and your heart. Those who are weak, those who lack conviction, will be weeded out by this tournament. Only those who are truly worthy of bearing the title of sorceress's Knight will succeed."

Headmaster Stretello threw his arms wide in a grand, all-encompassing gesture. It looked odd coming from him, especially since he normally wasn't one for theatrics.

He must be getting into this.

"This is a chance for those of you who've been here for at least four years to prove yourselves, to show us how much you've learned, how strong you've become. I look forward to seeing the results of your training."

As the headmaster spun around and left the balcony, chattering broke out amongst the Knight candidates. Some complained about the age restriction, while others boasted about how they planned on winning the tournament single-handedly. Only a few people remained silent; Caspian, and an older student standing at the opposite end of the courtyard, wearing a large fedora and a crimson shoulder cape.

Lost within his own thoughts, Caspian vacated the courtyard.

"Well," Christo said, sounding chipper as always, "that just happened. I take it you plan on entering the—eh? Caspian? O-oi! Wait up, Caspian!"

Caspian ignored Christo as he strode down the hall, his mind awhirl. He'd be turning eighteen in two weeks, which meant he could enter the tournament, if he so chose. The idea appealed to him, he wouldn't deny that. However...

Could Ele be the sorceress they've selected?

There was no way of knowing that yet. The sorceress selected to take part in this wouldn't be known for another month, at least. He would wait until then to decide whether or not he would enter the tournament.

He looked at his right hand. Leather creaked as he clenched it into a fist. Unbidden, a tiny smile appeared on his face.

I might finally be able to keep my promise.  

XXX

Here is the beginning of Arcadia's Ignoble Tournament. I hope you guys and girls are excited! Updates will happen every Monday and Thursday. I'm spacing them out a little more evenly so that you guys have something to read throughout the week.

Well, I know that I gave you guys this chapter in my previous book as a sort of sneak preview, but I hope you still enjoyed reading this. Please remember to give this chapter your vote. It really does mean a lot. Any and all comments are also welcome. I try to respond to questions in a timely manner, though I am busy with work so I might not always get to you right away.

Thank you all very much for reading. ^_^