Chapter 3: Dreaming

I wake up shivering, my entire body aching. I lay on a cold, dirt floor in the dark, though a little bit of lighting makes its way through the cracks of the building.

I slowly sit up. I feel calm as I begin walking around the building I was in. The walls are made of steel, the ground made of dirt. I look up but can't see where the ceiling ends. I walk over to one of the cracks in the wall a peer out. Fire burns the outside world smoke rising from the ground. I hear screaming in the distance, more than one person. And still, I feel calm.

I turn back around and see a metal table, four straps at each corner. It is at a slight angle and I walk to it. I brush my hand against the cool metal, for some reason entranced by it. I hear more screaming, but I ignore it and continue looking around.

I turn in the opposite direction of the table and see a chair. I blink and someone is sitting in that chair, a spotlight seeming to be on him.

"Dean?" I ask, taking a step forward.

"No," my father says and I stop. "Don't come closer."

I cock my head. "Dad? What's going on?"

"Get back!" He yells, blood streaming from his face. He's been through a pretty bad beating. His hands are tied behind the chair and another rope ties him to the spot.

I stand there, wondering why I felt so calm. My father sat just a few feet away from me, in terrible shape may I add, and yet, I'm calm.

And, then, I wasn't.

I feel something shove me against the table. I scream as someone forcefully ties me to the table. I thrash and kick at my assailant, but nothing happens. The person pulls back and I see Chester.

"What?" I say. "But you're dead!" He gives me a sinister smile and begins carving into my skin and I scream, louder and louder. After a few minutes, I pass out from the pain. When I reopen my eyes, I am laying down on my couch in my house.

"Emma?" I hear a voice call. I get up and walk to the kitchen. I feel that calmness again, even though something was terribly wrong. How did I get here?

I enter the kitchen to see my mothers back to me. "Mom?" I say, but she doesn't turn around.

"Good morning," she says, focusing on whatever she was cooking.

"Morning?" I ask and walk to the window. The sun shines brightly outside and I turn back around.

"You better hurry," she says, her voice sounding like an echo. "Or you're going to be late to school."

"Mom," I say, walking towards her. "Are you okay?"

She still doesn't turn to me. "I'm perfectly fine, Emma," she says. "Why do you ask?"

I grab her shoulder and force her around. Just like last time the calm feeling escapes me quickly and I have to step back. My mother's face is mauled and blood pools from her face, chest, everywhere. My hand goes to my mouth but I stop when I see the blood on my hands.

"Emma?" My mother says. "Are you okay?"

I scream as a piece of her skin falls off. "Emma!" She says grabbing at me, but I dodge her. I give her one last look and I know what is coming. I dodge behind the counter just as the explosion happens. I cover my ears and I close my eyes as I see bits of her go flying around me. Fire burns inside the house and I scream and scream.

And then there was silence.

I slowly stand up, no longer in my house but in Michael's room back at Bobby's. I look down and see Michael's sleeping body laying on the bed. I feel tears well up in my eyes and walk over to him. I sit down and take his hand. 

"I am so sorry," I say. "This is all my fault. I am sorry, Michael. I love you. Please, wake up. I love you."

I feel his hand tighten on mine and my heart skips a beat. I look at his eyes, hopeful. He stares up at the ceiling, blinking every so often. "Emma?" He says.

"I'm here," I say, scooting closer to him. He looks to me and puts a hand on my head. I smile to him and go to lean in for a kiss, but am stopped when he tightly grips my hair.

"Michael?" I ask, panic making my heart race. I try pulling back but call out in pain when Michael keeps me in place, his hand firmly gripped my hair. He gives me an angry look.

He slowly sits up, taking me with him. I call out in pain. "Dean!" I call out.

Michael laughs. "He's not coming," he says. "He doesn't care about you. He only cares about himself and his brother. Remember how he left your mother? Remember how he wasn't around when you were growing up? And to think, you call him dad."

Tears rush down my face. "Stop!" I shout at him. "You're lying! Just shut up!"

He laughs some more, but it was a dark laugh. One that sent a shiver down my spine. He stands up, picking me up by my hair he slams me into the wall, the air leaving my lungs. He throws me at the wall again and I scream myself awake.

***

"Emma!" Dean is saying, his hands on my shoulders as he shakes me awake. I scream and sit straight up, knocking my head against my dads. "Are you okay?" He asks, rubbing his head.

"Michael," I whisper and jump up. I rush to his room, not even caring I hadn't worn pants to bed. I slam open his door and look at his still form on the bed. I sigh in relief and slide down the wall, pulling my knees up to my face.

"Emma?" Dean says, coming to sit down next to me. "What happened?"

I take a deep breath. "I had a dream," I say. "A terrible dream." I tell Dean about it and I notice Sam standing off to the side, quietly listening.

"Wow," Dean says, shaking his head. He looks up to his brother and then back to me. "Put some pants on and meet me outside."

"Where are we going?" I ask, suddenly embarrassed from being pantless.

"We're going to get pie," he says.