Chapter 6: Driving Lesson

"Alright," Bobby says. "Put the car into drive and ease your foot on the gas pedal. Keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the steering wheel. Since you're a new driver I don't want you to do what other people do, okay?"

I nod my head and shakily put the car into drive. I place my hands on the steering wheel and take a deep breath. I take my foot off the break and slowly put pressure on the gas pedal. We slowly begin to pick up speed and after a couple minutes, I feel myself relax.

"This is fun!" I say excitement blooming through my chest. I laugh and I see Bobby smile out of the corner of my eye. The road is empty and I'm thankful for that. I feel my hands loosen a bit on the steering wheel and I take another deep breath.

"What kind of car is this?" I ask.

"A 1972 chevy longhorn truck," Bobby says. "Just finished fixing up this beauty. All she needs is a nice paint job."

I remember the rusting green paint. "It's a really nice car," I say.

"It's yours if you want it," Bobby says.

My eyes go wide and I have to force them to stay on the road in front of me. "Are you serious?"

He nods. "Yep. Just as long as you get your license, I don't see why not. You'll need a car for when you're ready to hunting by yourself."

I feel myself tense up. It had never occurred to me that one day I would be hunting by myself. Without Dean. For some reason, I had thought I would always be with my dad and uncle.

"Watch out!" Bobby says and I slam on the brakes as we come up to a dead end. "Watch where you're going," he says, his eyes wild.

I swallow. "Sorry," I say and make an awkward U-turn. I drive us back to Bobby's house and I park the car at an awkward angle.

Bobby sighs, slamming the door shut. "You didn't do too bad on your first day," he says. "Just can't get distracted like that."

I feel my cheeks heat up. "I know. I'm sorry."

He gives me a pat on the back. "It's okay. You're still learning."

I give him a smile and he makes his way inside. I put my thumbs in my pockets and look at the truck. I can't believe that it's mine!

I feel my phone buzz in my back pocket and I pull it out to see Dean's caller ID on the screen. I smile and answer it. "This is Emma," I say, smirking.

"Very funny," Dean says with a laugh. "Anyways, we think finally found out where Carter is."

It's been almost a month with them gone and we were all getting antsy. The longer it took to find Carter, the longer both she and Derek would have to suffer. Especially Derek.

"She in that basement of that casino you were talking about?" I ask, making my way into the house.

"Yeah," he says. "We're gonna head in tomorrow morning when the vamps are sleeping. Hopefully we'll be able to get out without a fight."

I snort. "Probably not, but good luck."

"What are you up to today?"

I sit down on the couch. "Bobby took me out for a drive," I say and I grin.

"Were you the one driving?" He asks and my grin widens.

"Yes! It was so much fun and I'm not really all that bad. I can't believe Mom never let me do that." We both laugh and a silence falls between us.

"Hey," Dean says. "I have to go. We're getting everything we need ready for in the morning. I'll call you as soon as we are on the road again."

"Okay," I say. "Kick some vampire ass and tell the boys I say hi."

"Will do," he says and the phone beeps, declaring the end of the call.

Bobby walks into the room, a beer in hand. "That your father?"

I nod and stand up. "Yeah. They're moving in tomorrow morning. Say they found her and are going to try and strike while the vamps are sleeping."

Bobby takes a drink and nods. "Smart boys."

I smile. "I'm going to go clean up," I say and walk up the stairs. I take a quick shower, loving how the water felt on my almost healed skin. There was definitely some scarring, but the lines were faint and luckily I have fair skin if that has to do with anything.

When I get out, I sit down on my bed and lean back. I close my eyes but immediately open them when I feel something staring at me. I look around but see nothing. I stand up and look out my window. I catch a glimpse of something making its way through the scrap yard.

I quickly race down the stairs. "Bobby?" I say. I look outside to see his car gone. He must have gone to the store or something.

I take a deep breath to calm my pounding heart. "Okay, Em," I say. "Just do what Dean would do." I grab salt and make a nice, thick ring in the living room. I grab a shotgun from the panic room and sit down in the ring of salt.

I listen carefully and stand up when I hear someone opening the front door. Everyone is supposed to come through the back door. I raise my gun as a figure slowly comes into view. Without thinking, I shoot the gun and I hear a yelp.

"Emma!" A voice says as I shoot again. "Emma! It's me! Derek!"

I grab the flask of holy water that I keep in my back pocket and splash it on the boy. He stops, rubbing his lips together. He gives me an annoyed look and my eyes go wide. "Derek! Oh my gosh!"

I grab him as he stumbles forward. He's covered in blood and dirt, his clothes completely torn up. "How did you get here?"

Derek takes a deep breath, looking as if he is in a great amount of pain. "They let me go," he says. "Can you get me some water?"

I nod and hurry to the kitchen. After giving him his glass of water, I pull out my phone and dial Dean's number. "Pick up," I plead.

"Hello?" A tired voice says.

"Dean!" I say.

"Emma," Dean says, panic in his voice. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

I shake my head. "Yes, Dean. I'm fine. It's Derek."

"What about him?"

"He's here," I say. "At Bobby's. The vampires say that they let him go."

"You splashed holy water on him, right?"

"Yes," I say. "It's definitely Derek. And he looks about as bad I had when you guys found me."

"Is Bobby there?"

"No. I don't know where he is," I say, nervousness running through my veins. "What do I do?"

"Just hang tight," Dean says. "I'll call Bobby. You stay with him, okay?"

"Okay." We hang up and I enter the living room. "Hey," I say, sitting down next to him. "Dean is going to call Bobby."

He nods and takes a deep breath. "It hurts," he says. "Everywhere. I think I'm bleeding again."

I go get a wet rag and begin trying to clean up the blood. He closes his eyes as he tries to relax. Moments later, Bobby comes in and we help Derek into the car. We take him to the hospital and the instantly go to work on him.

He has to say overnight but should be good to go in the morning the doctors tell us. We both nod and go wait in the waiting room. We fall asleep in the chairs and I wake up in the morning to my phone buzzing.

I pull it out to read a message from Dean: "Headed out," it says. "Operation rescue Carter is a go."