Chapter 20: A New Beginning

I wake up the next morning with a new found energy. My body still aches from the day before, but for some reason, I'm ready to start the day.

I jump out of bed after my alarm goes off. I take a quick shower and dress in a cute, black skirt with a red, plaid shirt. I take the time to do my make-up and style my hair. When I'm done, I examine my work in the mirror with a smile.

For some reason, I feel like today is going to be a good day.

I walk into the kitchen where Sammy stands by the coffee pot, as usual. Derek sits at the counter, a bowl of cereal in front of him. I pass by the two boys and into the living room. Dean is curled up on the couch, his eyes shut. He must have fallen asleep in here last night.

I open the door and walk down the hall until I make it outside. Michael is climbing out of his mustang, the baby blue glinting in the early, morning sun.

"Good morning," I say with a big smile.

He gives me an odd look. "You're seeming chipper this morning. What's up?"

I shrug. "I don't know. I just... I have a good feeling about today."

He laughs. "Well," he says, walking up to me and giving me a hug. "I'm glad you're doing better. We were all worried about you, you know."

I sigh and pull away. "I know," I say. "And I really am sorry. Things have just been weird for me lately, and... Well... I don't know."

"What are you doing out here?" He asks after a moment of awkward silence.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "I wanted some fresh air. Where were you?"

He leans into his mustang and pulls out a box of donuts. "Dean wanted me to run out this morning to get him some food he didn't have to cook."

I laugh. "I think he's missing the road," I say.

He nods and he closes the door to his car. He sets the box on the roof and leans against the mustang. "I think we are all starting to get antsy. None of us are known for staying in the same place for so long."

I nod. "Yeah, that's understandable. But doesn't the constant moving around ever get tiring?"

He shrugs. "Yeah, I guess it can sometimes. But it's what we're all used to. It's how we grew up. Sure, our lives are filled with crappy motel rooms and cheap diner food, but it's all we got. The open road is our home."

I smile. "Yeah," I say. "It is pretty cool, though. That you get to see all these cool places all over the country."

"Yeah," he says. "It is pretty cool."

My smile widens. "Where is the coolest place you have ever been?"

He cocks his head to the side, a pondering look on his face. "Hm," he says. "That's a hard one. I've been some pretty cool places. I would have to say... Washington D.C. when I was hunting down some ghost near the Abraham Lincoln memorial."

"That's so cool," I say and I don't even realize that I had moved closer to him.

"Yeah," he says with a smile. "It is pretty cool. Perhaps one day you'll get to see all these cool places."

I shrug. "Perhaps," I say, getting even closer to him. "Or maybe we could just go there."

"Right now?" He asks, with a bewildered look.

"I want to get out of here, Michael," I say. "I'm tired of being hunted. I just want to escape and not look back."

I'm closer now, our lips just inches apart. After a moment, Michael takes a step back, shaking his head. "Emma," he says. "As wonderful as that sounds-"