Chapter 11: Finally a Hunt

I wake up to the back door slamming shut. I sit up on the couch and rub my eyes. I don't know when I feel asleep, but I am sprawled out with one leg hanging off. I pat down my tangled hair and look behind me, my eyes still filled with sleep.

"Morning, sunshine," Dean says with a grin. He laughs at my appearance I squint in the sunlight coming from the window.

"Morning," I say with a yawn. My uncle walks in behind Dean, a duffle bag in his hand. I stretch my arms above me and groan. "How was the hunt?"

Dean pats his chest as he stretches his arms back. "It was a fun time," he says. "Nothing like getting to exorcise demons to start off your week."

I laugh and stand up. I walk over to him and we give each other a hug. "How are you doing?" He asks.

I shrug. "It's been a year since Mom's death, but I'm surprisingly doing well."

He smiles. "That's my girl."

"Where's Bobby?" Sam asks.

"Had to go help someone out in Nevada," I say. "He left yesterday afternoon."

Dean lets out a long, content sigh. "Well, he probably won't be back for awhile. How about we go to the diner for some breakfast and then come back here for some sleep?"

I smile. "Okay. I'll go get ready to leave."

Dean smiles and ruffles my hair. I laugh and walk up the stairs. I quickly change out of my clothes and put on a little bit of makeup. After brushing out my hair, I walk downstairs and outside where the boys wait for me by the impala.

"Took you long enough," Dean teases.

I roll my eyes. "Let's go. I'm starving."

He laughs and I climb in.

***

After breakfast, we get back to Bobby's. Sam and Dean immediately head up to their rooms, both of them exhausted. I yawn and try to stay awake, but I head upstairs and sleep for the rest of the day.

When I wake up at dinner, I enter the kitchen where everyone, including Derek and Carter, sit around the table, all talking in hushed tones.

"If you're talking about me," I say. "I would stop now because I've entered the room."

They all go silent and look at me. I give them a confused look as I get myself a glass of water. "What's the secret? Planning me a birthday party? Sorry to mention this, but that was three weeks ago now."

Dean gives Sam and unsure look. My uncle grimaces and looks to me. "We have a hunt," he says.

"You just got back, though!" I say, my heart falling.

Sam pushes a hand through his long hair. "You're coming with us. You all are."

My eyes go wide with excitement. "Really? Where?"

Sam and Dean exchange another unsure look and I take a drink of my water. "We need you, Derek, and Carter to undercover at Fait High School."

I nearly choke on my water. "Wait," I say, coughing. "You mean, my old high school?"

"Now, Emma," Dean says but I cut him off.

"Are you serious? For all they know I've fallen off the face of the earth! I mean, I know I was only there for a month, but I did have friends. And it's a small enough school that people are going to recognize me," I say ecstatic.

"Emma," Dean says again. "I know this isn't some-"

"I thought the disappearances stopped? What could possibly be happening now?"

"Emma!" Dean shouts and I freeze.

"Emma," he says, a little bit softer now. "I know this isn't something you want to do. But the disappearances started happening again. So far there are only two people missing."

"Who?" I ask, marching up to look at Sam's computer screen. A girl with long, brown hair, perfectly white teeth, and piercing green eyes smiles in the picture. Next to her a picture of a boy with short, red hair and freckles covering his face smiles. "That's Abigail Henson and Johnny Pillar," I say. "Abby was one of my first friends there."

Sam leans forward, his interviewing face on. "Did you know Johnny?"

I nod. "Unfortunately," I mutter. "He's a total creep. He would hit on me every time he got the chance."

I look up and see Derek and Michael both clench their jaws. "At least, you won't have to worry about that while we are there," Derek says, forcing himself to sound calm.

I look back to Sam and Dean. "I'm trying to think if him and Abby had anything in common, but I don't think so. How do we know this is something for us?"

Dean shrugs. "We don't. But I know there are some hunters looking at this."

I nod. "Okay," I say. "When do we leave?"

"Soon," Sam says. "We need to get there so we can enroll you three into the school."

I look to Michael. "What about the rest of you?"

"I'm twenty-three. I don't think I can pass off as a student like I was able to a year ago," Michael says with a laugh.

I nod. "Okay. At least I will have Carter and Derek."

Carter gives me a huge grin. "I've never been to real high school before!"

I laugh. "It's not as great as you think."

She scrunches her nose and shake her head. "Oh hush. Don't ruin it for me!"

We all laugh and stand up. "Get everything you guys need. We'll meet you outside."

I nod, my hands shaking. I was going back to my old home. Again. I wonder what has happened to my old house? I'm sure after a year of no payments, they finally foreclosed it. I can't help but laugh at what peoples reactions were when they found all of my mothers hunting tools and demon traps.

Giving a shaky sigh as I enter my room, I try to focus on the good parts. At least I was getting to go on a hunt again. And I would be able to see some of my old friends again. I should be excited.

Right?

I shake my head and finish packing up. I walk outside and hop into the impala. Derek and Carter are riding with Michael. I nearly have a heart attack after I slam the door and turn around to see Cas. "Dammit, Cas," I say. "You can't do that to me."

He blinks at me. "Hello, Emma," he says. "Your father wanted me to come on this hunt."

I smile. In the last five months, Dean would pray to Castiel to come watch over us while they were on longer hunts. He even healed Carter when things started to look down for her. "I'm glad you're here."

He gives me a small smile and looks forward. Before I know it, we are on the road again to visit memory lane.