Chapter 4: Dad

"So," I say as we sit down in our booth. "I've been meaning to ask this... But I haven't been wanting to."

Dean raises an eyebrow as he picks up his menu. "Just ask me. You shouldn't feel like you can't ask me something."

I press my lips together. "Do you know where Derek and Carter are?"

Dean looks up from his menu and sighs. He sets it down and crosses his fingers together. "We have an idea," Dean says. "We're still looking into it, though."

"Where do you think they might be?" I ask.

"We think Carter might be in Los Angelas and Derek is in Pittsburg."

I groan and slump down in my seat. "That's on two different sides of the country, though!"

Dean nods. "Yeah. That's where our problem lies. But we'll get them back. Don't you worry."

He winks at me as the waitress comes over. She's a pretty brunette, probably in her late twenties. I look to Dean and watch as he puts on his charm. I groan as he begins flirting with the waitress.

"What kind of pie do you guys have?" Dean asks.

The woman smiles coyly. "Well, I'm rather good at baking pies if you'd like to come by my place after my shift." Dean grins.

I start coughing, my eyes going wide. "I'll just have a slice of blueberry," I say. "And a Pepsi."

Dean clears his throat and looks down. "As pleasing as your offer sounds, I'm just going to have to go with apple pie."

The waitress looks at me, her smile dropping. "Whatever. I'll bring that right out for you."

When she walks away I look to my dad. "That was disgusting."

Dean smiles and pats himself on the chest. "What can I say, Emma? The women want me."

I roll my eyes. "Excuse me while I go be sick." He laughs and sets his menu to the side. When the waitress returns with our pie, I ask for a cup of coffee.

"How are you feeling?" Dean asks after awhile, both of our pies gone.

I shrug. "Alright, I guess."

He takes my hand and squeezes it. "You know Michael would never say those things in real life, right? He likes you too much."

I bit my lip and look away, tears in my eyes. "That's the thing, Dean. He has."

I look over to my dad to see that he froze. "Emma," he says. "I-I'm sorry. I don't know what to say."

I shake my head. "It's okay," I say. "He apologized, saying that he was wrong."

Dean nods his head. "Good. Because he is damn wrong. I care about you, Emma. I may not show it as often as I do, but as your father, I care about you. Even if my blood wasn't running through those veins of yours and you were still here with me, I would still care about you."

I smile at him. "I know, Dad."

He smiles back. "You finished there?"

I look down at my empty cup and nod. "Yeah," I say.

Dean walks over to the counter and takes longer than usual to get our bill paid for. He returns with a napkin in hand and I notice a phone number written on it. Rolling my eyes, I follow Dean out to the impala.

"Have you ever been bowling?" I ask Dean as he unlocks the doors.

"Yeah, of course," Dean says. "Why do you ask?"

I shrug. "I noticed a bowling alley on our way here."

He smiles and we both climb into the car. "Then I guess we should stop by."

***

We bowl until lunch. Dean blames his constant losing on none of the balls weighing the right amount for him and I just laugh and roll my eyes.

"Can we do, like, Wendy's or something for lunch?" I groan as we pull up to yet, another diner.

Dean looks at me. "No," he says. "This stuff tastes a lot better than that fast food crap."

I roll my eyes and we get out of the car. "Besides," he continues, holding the door open for me. "You can't get pie at a Wendy's."

I sigh and sit in the booth. We just finish ordering when Dean's phone goes off. "This is Dean," he says, answering the phone. "Wait, what? Okay, Sammy. We'll be right there."

"What's wrong?" I ask.

Dean gets up and stops our waitress. "We're going to have put a rain check on those burgers. Work calls," he says. Turning to me, "Let's go. Sam needs us."

I sigh and stand up. It's about a thirty-minute drive back to Bobby's. When we get there, Sam is sitting at the kitchen table, various papers spread out, his laptop in the middle of it all.

"What's up?" Dean asks, standing next to his brother.

"Well," Sam says. "I think I just found Carter." Sam looks up to me with a smile and I can't help the excited grin that spreads across my face.

Bobby walks into the kitchen then, his breathing hard as if he had run from down the stairs. "Emma," he says. "You need to come up with me. Right now."

I look to him. "Bobby?" I say, walking forward. "Why? What is it? What's wrong?"

Bobby looks to me, a smile on his face. "Michael," he says. "He's awake."